Girlfriend going to study at Berkeley, how long can I visit for?

Sony

... Well that's if she gets in! Long shot here!

But say she did- How long can I stay bearing in mind she'll be there 9 months.

Could I stay for an initial 3 months, come back to the Uk for 3 months and then go back to the US for the last 3 months for instance?

Thanks!:)

I *think* you can say in the US as a visitor for upto 6 months provided that you have the necessary funds to support yourself.

Going on the conditions I had set for my month stay in Canada with relatives, I had to have $CA 2000 dollars in order to support myself (around £1300 IIRC)

If the US says the same per month then you'd need around the same so about £4200 for 3 months.

It is indeed. Most Brits visiting the US do so under the Visa Waiver scheme.

In your case, a B2 might be more appropriate and if - when you apply for the visa - you apply for an extension on the grounds that you will be accompanying somebody with a 9-month B1 or F1/M1, they might grant you an extended visa from the start.

You will still have to prove that you can support yourself (and you are not permitted to work on a B2.)

In your case, a B2 might be more appropriate and if - when you apply for the visa - you apply for an extension on the grounds that you will be accompanying somebody with a 9-month B1 or F1/M1, they might grant you an extended visa from the start.

You will still have to prove that you can support yourself (and you are not permitted to work on a B2.)

Thought so- many thanks

If you're entering under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program, your stay will be limited to 90 days.

You may (or may not) be allowed to re-enter 3 months after you leave. Finding our on the day you are booked to travel could be both expensive and inconvenient.

Why don't you check with the US Embassy?

This is the best advice here..

Archived