Car Heater Fault

Anyone on here have any idea's as to what can be causing this ?

I drive a Fiat car, during the last 6 months have had a problem with the temperature guage not showing the correct temperature of the engine.......from cold and after travelling a couple of miles or so the guage will show normal operating temperature then the needle begins to fluctuate ( up and down ), on other occasions I could have travelled 10+ miles and the needle will remain at the off position or just a little above it,

I have taken my car to two autocentres - one of which was the Fiat dealership and had two separate diagnostics carried out........nothing comes up as to the nature of the fault.

I have suggested to both autocentres that I think its the screw in sensor in the side of the engine at fault but they won't commit themselves to saying it is or could be - meanwhile its costing me £73.50 a time for a computer diagnostic !

Thursday 29th December went out in the car - temperature guage still the same, due to it being cold and wet windows were steaming up, switched heater on - not working.

Car manual gives 3 locations for fuses relating to heater on car......could it be a fuse that has blown, heater motor requires new brushes, or a faulty heater switch on dashboard ?

In the past ( talking early days here when engines were easy to work on and you could gain access to anything ) I would have checked most of these myself, but now without taking half the car apart I can't do it.

when my heater stopped working on my first car (SEAT Ibizia) it turned out to be the head gasket that had gone. Called the garage with several faults in the lead up, but it wasn't until the heater stopped that they twigged. Apparently an easy way to check this is to look at oil and see if its emulsified. Don't recall it effecting the temperature guage tho.

My Marea Weekend dial used to go into the red. Switching the heater on or tapping the dial would return it to normal. It could never cope with wet weather either. Just couldn't demist the screen. That doesn't explain why your heater isn't working though. Have you checked the relevant forums? That's helped me in the past.

I have suggested to both autocentres that I think its the screw in sensor in the side of the engine at fault but they won't commit themselves to saying it is or could be - meanwhile its costing me £73.50 a time for a computer diagnostic !

they are not going to fix what is probably a simple fault when they can screw you out of 73 quid every time you take it in!

if you think its the sensor - get it changed! but it could also be an intermittent break in the wire from the sensor.

neepsend motors is good for spares at a sensible price.

price up the part then get a quote for fitting it on here. may be less than a diagnostic which most mechanics are too thick to correctly interpret the results of.

Archived