Thatcher film in New Year

trans

The miners strike was 25+ ago. Have the minrs not moved on like most people who loose a job. What the hell sets miners apart that we should feel some sort of special sympathy for them. They got big redundancy payouts and most who didn't set up new buisinesses are on the Sick, Have you been to places like Thernscoe as of late. Maggie was a Bitch, a bitch of a leader. Winston Churchhill without the hat. Those miners wifes who call themselves the real iron ladies should move on and shut it.

Very well said :)

Went to see it today. I thought the events were fairly factual and you were left to make your own mind up as to whether you agreed with Thatcher's various decisions.

Jim Broadbent was excellent as Dennis.I thought the film explored their relationship well and that of Carol and Mark with their mother.

The joke in the first ten minutes wasn't lost on me.

P.S. Bring back Spitting Image, the only time when I knew who all the cabinet was.

'I went to see the film yesterday also, I thought it was a beautiful portrayal of old age. A woman who was still haunted by her past and who missed the love of her life - maybe she realised this too late in life?

Politics aside I defy anyone to watch it and not be moved by an emotional empathy for an elderly lady.

'I went to see the film yesterday also, I thought it was a beautiful portrayal of old age. A woman who was still haunted by her past and who missed the love of her life - maybe she realised this too late in life?

Politics aside I defy anyone to watch it and not be moved by an emotional empathy for an elderly lady.

Wll, it undoes the past and makes everything alright then doesn't it?

what a considerate post!

i wasn't a supporter of Margaret Thatcher's politicical practices,but i would not wish that tragic condition "Dementia" on my own worst enemy.

Very well said :)

It wasn’t well said at all, it totally ignored the fact that the pits, steelworks and docks didn’t just employ people they created and supported whole communities, communities that haven’t been replaced.

There was a time when the average bloke on the street could get a job to support a family, those days have gone now its ether low paid jobs or high paid jobs, the mass employers have gone which has led to a life on benefits for many.

I know that the fully paid up members of the “I’m all right jack brigade” will turn their noses up and say kids should all go to university to better themselves but the graduate market is already saturated …….. if every child had a degree a degree would become meaningless if it isn’t already.

Before I get accused of being bitter and twisted again I would point out that I am in my 50`s, mortgage free, nice car and have a foreign holiday every year ……. The difference between me and the “I’m all right jack brigade” is that I haven’t forgot the past or where I came from.

Grandad a miner, dad a miner,I was a steel worker and proud of it…….. these jobs aren’t coming back but without some form of mass employment to keep the kids of the street people better look forward to more riots from the disenfranchised youth of today.

what about all the other people troubled by her actions and behaviour of the past?

It is possible to empathise with more than one side of a coin....... surely as human beings we can be open minded enough to appreciate different aspects of the human personality.

My heart goes out to all people affected in a troubled way by whatever it is that's troubling them - whether it be Thatcher being troubled by her past, or those troubled by her actions.

Archived