Thatcher film in New Year

trans

The miners strike was 25+ ago. Have the minrs not moved on like most people who loose a job. What the hell sets miners apart that we should feel some sort of special sympathy for them. They got big redundancy payouts and most who didn't set up new buisinesses are on the Sick, Have you been to places like Thernscoe as of late. Maggie was a Bitch, a bitch of a leader. Winston Churchhill without the hat. Those miners wifes who call themselves the real iron ladies should move on and shut it.

Most of them have yes but then you have to remember most of them didn't want to strike, it was the bully boy factices of the unions that made most of them strike in the first place.

I'm definitely going to go and watch the film. I will be interested to see whether they portray her a heartless or just a strong willed lady who didn't show her feelings

The latter i would assume, however the first point is most accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend and I went to see the film last week. We were engrossed from the start. Meryl Streep was superb.

The film portrayed a once very strong character diminished by a condition that affects many old people, regardless of what they did in their earlier life. It showed the snobbery of the establishment as it was when Margaret Thatcher first entered politics. She didn't fit in to the 'old money' conservatives, she came from a hard working family who were in trade. It showed her as a teenager being ridiculed by girls who liked to go out and have fun, because she was either studying or working in her parents' shop.

Regardless of anyone's political stance, I think its a film worth seeing. People who hate her and blame her for all the ills of this country won't like it because it shows that for much of her time as PM she came across as a decent person who tried to do what she thought was right. Of course she didn't get everything right, that would be impossible. :sad:

Archived