Thatcher film in New Year

trans

Ah those were the days. A michine needed adjusting and you sat around half a day waiting for a fitter to turn up. He took one look and called for an electrician to turn off the switch before he could do anything. A few hours later the fitter would do his bit and then you waited for the electrician to turn the power back on. As you said 2/3 hours work in a day.

Saturdays were best. Folk clocked on and went to the pub. I think British Leyland had beds on the night shift.

our machine broke down...tool needed machining...took it to machine shop on fork truck...could easy have put it on lathe to speed things up....but it had to go in yellow box...so crane man could put it on machine...it was his job...

fixed in half a shift...took it back to be placed in another box...so other crane man could put it into machine...three men one job....loved it...

Yep and I lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the street …….. cant beat a good old yarn can you.

I was told the same stories but in 30+ years I never experienced them ……… strange that. :suspect:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19800109&id=SMJAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-KUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6170,1182541

Yes it is isn't it. Perhaps you were just asleep.

didn't work at doncasters then....demarcation...one man one job.....loved it...busy on days...steady on afters....but those 12 hour nights....and the time spent in barrack....bring them back t'morrow...i'll have a bit of that....

Since when was Doncaster’s the “steel industry” :confused: Hold on I can feel something coming on ……. Back on topic Please.

Since when was Doncaster’s the “steel industry” :confused: Hold on I can feel something coming on ……. Back on topic Please.

you could change doncasters for any major player during the period...they were all at it....money for nowt....as we used to say....loved it...

couldn't do it on days though....that was the grafting shift

Thatcher is the closest thing to Hitler that I have seen. It is solely circumstances that held her back. She would gladly have sent the army in to murder all the miners and steelworkers if she could have. It was a class thing. She was as capable of mass murder as Hitler was.

It was merely the circumstances that did not afford her the opportunity to do it.

Don't worry, nursey will be with you soon with some nice medicine. :hihi:

That’s it then ………. Conclusive evidence everyone that worked nights in a factory went to the pub and slept all night. :roll:

You must be the union man.

That's just as I remember things even down to you saying "You never saw that right?"

you could change doncasters for any major player during the period...they were all at it....money for nowt....as we used to say....loved it...

couldn't do it on days though....that was the grafting shift

I found this link which throws some light on the subject.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZypjKRArya0C&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=productivity+british+steel+1980&source=bl&ots=h-K7tgswOJ&sig=mij96-5TuXrGhd6A3NzIU3IJovo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AGwAT7SvCpLz8QPgm_CaAQ&ved=0CFUQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=productivity%20british%20steel%201980&f=false

Productivity increased in the steel industry by more than 300% between 1979 and 1996.

No it wasn't just Donnys a guy next door to me worked at Stocksbridge just greasing the in door train and I found his wage slip on my drive I didn't sleep for a month after I had seen what he got paid for a nowt job.Another friend of mine worked there as a crane driver and on nights at weekend he went in his suit clocked on and went to the pub if they wanted stuff moving they would come and fetch him he said it was the best job he had ever had and the money was incredible and that is just two examples.Unions are intent on destroying our way of life,little bully boys with big ambitions and bigger fools supporting them.

Archived