Thatcher film in New Year

trans

Grandad.Malky, I am talking about the happy times at Stocksbridge,I lived at Oughtibridge at the time and knew a lot of people who worked there but that may have been before your time.My mate was called Vic Ellwiss,before going to BS he was forman at Montys Motors and after he was made jobless was manager for 12 yrs at Weirhead garage he was very well known.Had another friend there who read the pyerometers on the furnaces and he walked round selling johnies and razor blades.I heard a lot of tales from there some may be true some not but I have no reason to doubt my friends.

Someone I work with heard the modern day equivalent of the stories …… he got a job at Stocksbridge and two weeks later he was begging for is old job back :hihi: say it all really.

You don't seem very interested in discussing the film.

I think the film should highlight how Thatcher transformed our inefficient industries so that they could compete in the modern world.

Well as the productivity of the whole of British Steel increased from 12 man/hours per tonne in 1979 to 3.7 man hours per tonnein 1996 that's pretty impressive. A whole industry has a productivity boost of 225% during the course of a Tory government that folks on this forum claim destroyed the steel industy. When like you say they were actually making..

Large scale investment

Changes in technology

SPC

Better quality control

Automated process

I hope you are as useful to the film makers.:D:D

The only trouble with progress is it puts people out of work who would have been end consumers of the goods.

So, if every company tries to acheive effeciencies through technolougy, whipping the employee's hard and having less of them, eventually you will have no body left in work to buy all these products.

The only trouble with progress is it puts people out of work who would have been end consumers of the goods.

So, if every company tries to acheive effeciencies through technolougy, whipping the employee's hard and having less of them, eventually you will have no body left in work to buy all these products.

So the Ludites were right all along. All we need to do is destroy the machines and get people back on the hand looms or ploughing with horses and we will have 100% employment. It's so simple. Why haven't the politicians seen it?

Oh I know! It was so we would have a better standard of living than they had in the Middle Ages. I think the idea is to make efficiencies so people can afford to buy your products. The alternative would seem to be to buy them all from abroad.

Grandad.Malky, I am talking about the happy times at Stocksbridge,I lived at Oughtibridge at the time and knew a lot of people who worked there but that may have been before your time.My mate was called Vic Ellwiss,before going to BS he was forman at Montys Motors and after he was made jobless was manager for 12 yrs at Weirhead garage he was very well known.Had another friend there who read the pyerometers on the furnaces and he walked round selling johnies and razor blades.I heard a lot of tales from there some may be true some not but I have no reason to doubt my friends.

We need more of these men.

You don't seem very interested in discussing the film.

I think the film should highlight how Thatcher transformed our inefficient industries so that they could compete in the modern world.

Do you think, in the interests of balance, the film should also highlight how crime more than doubled and rates of suicide also increased while she was in power?

Archived