HMRC charge for not filling in a tax return even if you owe nothing

There are many new money extracting rulings coming up in the new year which are unbelievable, including a fine of up to £1,000 if your wheelie bin is not at a predetermined place within 10 minutes of bin collection time on the specified day. If it is there 15 mins before, you get fined for obstruction, as it is too early. If it is not there on time you get fined, even if it is empty and you did not want it emptying!:rant:

Any evidence for your claim, because all the evidence i've provided shows that the Conservatives are getting rid of the fines imposed by Labour.

Any evidence for your claim, because all the evidence i've provided shows that the Conservatives are getting rid of the fines imposed by Labour.

He hasn't got any evidence. He's a longstanding repeat troll who doesn't do evidence. He probably read it in the Sport or was told by that ever reliable source the pub bore.

HMRC are...nothing short of ruddy idiots.

So I'm opening up my payslip before work (I get paid about £350pm, part time job and below income tax threshold). Open it up, find they've taxed me 40%. 40% Tax in the month before Christmas which I was certain I didn't owe. Came out with just over £200 I think.

Anyway so I phone them up, they say "Yeah, you've been on benefits", Was dumbfounded, never claimed a penny in my life of any sort of benefit.

Called the JobCentre "No, no record of you ever being on benefits" (Obviously, as I knew).

Jobcentre send me proof that I could send to HMRC that I'd never been on benefits.

Got a letter today from HMRC with my new Tax code and the P45 back they also wanted me to send.

No apologies, no explanation as to why they said I had been on benefits, nothing.

"Here's your P45 back, here's your new Tax code"

They're a public service who put me in the s**t on the payday before Christmas, fine, everyone makes mistakes. But not a word of an apology either, ridiculous.

They really need to do further checks before taxing people before they know they owe it.

The government as also just told HMRC office they have got to raise an extra 55 billion pounds by the end of 2015 by checking suspect business's and individuals for "mistakes". They have been given a working fund of £90 million to do this.

I have just read this in the latest Federation of Small Business's magazine, can't provide a link as now at home, think i've remembered figures right.

Archived