High mileage on cars that are not old.

I privately run an Insignia 1.9cdti doing approximately 30k a year. This car goes in to the Higgs and Barker Vauxhall Dealers in Bridlington every 10k for a service check and oil change, using manufacturers oil and parts, essential to keep the turbo sweet!! (regardless of the recommended 20k interval). So yes, it depends how a car is treat ... my cars when I get rid are good buys, very often in excess of 100k.

I privately run an Insignia 1.9cdti doing approximately 30k a year. This car goes in to the Higgs and Barker Vauxhall Dealers in Bridlington every 10k for a service check and oil change, using manufacturers oil and parts, essential to keep the turbo sweet!! (regardless of the recommended 20k interval). So yes, it depends how a car is treat ... my cars when I get rid are good buys, very often in excess of 100k.

Spot-on, if you're buying ana ex-company car with high mileage it will have regularly serviced and most of the miles are probably motorway miles.

If I was looking for a good value, reliable car second hand car, I would go for a car with say 60-80k miles on, that had fsh. Change the cam belt and you should have a decent motor that will last you for years.

Yeah I had same when buying a mkv golf TDi. I had 5k to play with and walked away with a reps car, 120k on clock 54 plate , I could not get cheaper anywhere.

Still get 60+ mpg , pulls like a good'en and is so quiet and smooth.

When I got my car was this time last year and as soon as weather turned nice I fully serviced it with quality oils and filters, upgraded the wheel size and used better quality diesel.

I drove a few golf from a mkv 58 2.0ltr TDi gt 170 Bhp 26k on clock to MkVI 03 TDi 100bhp 87k on clock.

The 58 plate felt as smooth as my current 120k 54 reps car. But the MkVI private owner car was a bag of tat very loose, noisy and I'm guessing a little gass guzzler.

But yeah with 5k in my pocket and in a ressesion I couldn't find a quality cheap mkv golf TDi anywhere with low mileage for my budget.

So long as its been regularly serviced then there's nothing to worry about. Diesels in particular last for ages these days.

Also, you only get that kind of mileage with motorway miles - which puts far less strain on the car than doing 2 miles a day in town traffic.

With VW group cars if you are looking at diesels you need to do your purchasing very carefully.

New diesels are very efficient, but choose poorly & you could be in for some big bills! You need to study invoices for the service history with a fine tooth comb.

The main areas of concern are the DMF (dual mass flywheel) which frequently fail at 100k ish (£1200 to replace) & the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which if clog & cannot be regenerated need replacement (£1000 -£1200 to replace). Another area to study carefully is the service book to see if the car has been serviced on the variable or interval service regime.......check very carefully as they can be confusing & wrong oil or missed services can lead to blown turbos......more whopping bills.

Don't let this put you off....VW group cars make very good buys but be savvy!

With VW group cars if you are looking at diesels you need to do your purchasing very carefully.

New diesels are very efficient, but choose poorly & you could be in for some big bills! You need to study invoices for the service history with a fine tooth comb.

The main areas of concern are the DMF (dual mass flywheel) which frequently fail at 100k ish (£1200 to replace) & the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which if clog & cannot be regenerated need replacement (£1000 -£1200 to replace). Another area to study carefully is the service book to see if the car has been serviced on the variable or interval service regime.......check very carefully as they can be confusing & wrong oil or missed services can lead to blown turbos......more whopping bills.

Don't let this put you off....VW group cars make very good buys but be savvy!

ok.Yes that makes sense. I`m not sure if you would know whether there had been the wrong oil put in at some point.

ok.Yes that makes sense. I`m not sure if you would know whether there had been the wrong oil put in at some point.

Perhaps I didn't make myself very clear.......on the service record / book look at the mileage & the box ticked by the technician......if you have invoices to back these up all the better. Two types of services can be indicated in the book....longlife or inspection / interval service.

Longlife services should be around 20k miles & the computer on the car tells you by monitoring the style of driving. Special oil is used (which if you have the invoice should tell you).....it's usually low sulphur fully synthetic & lasts longer but costs packets (oil used is around £40 or £50)!

Inspection service / interval service can be carried out on set dates (e.g annually or 10k)

You can choose to service you car on a long life or interval service regime. Longlife is more suitable to motorway miles & constant revs, & interval is more suited to lower miles per annum & more gear change driving....town / dual carriageway / cold start which degenerates the oil more quickly.

Hope this helps?

I bought a X Reg Corsa, within 3 months it needed £700 of repairs and thats when it has been driven properly. It's all about what you cant see...

Yet I bought a 3 year old Corsa with 87k on the clock, it's still going strong after 6 years with nearly 130k!

I'm guessing yours was/is petrol?

Yet I bought a 3 year old Corsa with 87k on the clock, it's still going strong after 6 years with nearly 130k!

I'm guessing yours was/is petrol?

Petrol engines are good these days, look after them right and they keep on going. I know a mechanic who is still driving a petrol Montego that has been around the clock 2 and a half times

Archived