High mileage on cars that are not old.

we've had a couple of ex- mobility cars in the past. these cars are always low mileage and with full service history. one we looked at had done 10k in 3 years.
My current car was ex-motability, 3 years old with less than 2000 on the clock when I got it, result! It's now rapidly approaching 10 years old with nearly 92,000 on it. I've had no more than the normal sort of things go wrong with it than you'd expect for a car that old TBH.

Beats me why anyone would have a car and do less than 700 miles a year in it though, surely it'd have been cheaper to get a taxi?

Why is it so difficult to find 2 and 3 year old cars that have not been “to the moon & back” in respect of the mileage that they have done?

It's easy to find them, you just have to be prepared to pay! Problem is everyone expects an amazing car for no money.

If you are doing less than 15k per year then go for a small petrol.

They are much more suited to regular short journeys and modern petrol engines can easily do 40mpg average.

They have no filters or DMFs to go wrong and can easily go 20k between servicing dependent on use.

Petrol engines are good these days, look after them right and they keep on going. I know a mechanic who is still driving a petrol Montego that has been around the clock 2 and a half times

Wow! That's something to aim for :)

I don't think I look after mine very well though...

Try an ex-lease car. The leasing company gets them back at the end of the lease regardless of mileage.

http://www.tescocars.com/cars/search/?make=Volkswagen&range=Passat&priceMin=3325&priceMax=29045&page=1&ageMax=Any&engine=Any&seats=Any&bodyType=Any&availabilityMax=Any&mileageMax=Any&fuelType=Any&transmissionType=Any&colour=Any

I see a 3-year old one there that's only done 4.5k although I'd rather buy something that's 30k+ and properly run in.

I see a 3-year old one there that's only done 4.5k although I'd rather buy something that's 30k+ and properly run in.

I wonder whether the plate on that car is the original plate?

Car hire firms in the Channel Islands tend to sell off cars which are fairly new. Those cars can be imported into the UK and the VAT is payable at the current market value - so the prices are often very reasonable.

The car may have had one careful owner and 150 care-free drivers, may have done only a few thousand miles and 3rd and 4th gear will be like new. (They've hardly ever been used.)

Archived