DJs at wedding - cheesy or classy?

Myself and my partner initially recoiled in horror at the thought of a DJ at our wedding (cast your minds back to the days of school discos - red and green flashing lights and 'I am the music man, I come from far away...and I can plaaaaay, pia, pia, piano, piano, piano')

We had intended on getting a live band to play. However, I have now realised that there are lots of songs I would like to dance to etc and so we would really need a DJ for this.

So what are people's opinions/experience?

Are DJs cheesy/tacky or can they be tasteful and classy. We will be paying a small fortune for the venue and food so I don't want to ruin the effect with awful 'entertainment'!

It all depends, a decent wedding dj will meet with you beforehand, to discuss the kinds of music that you do (and dont) want.

On the day, they should provide your requests, and also play other music which would be selected by the dj, depending on what kind of crowd you have....and not forgetting the guests requests as well.

What people tend to forget when planning their evening wedding function is that some of their relatives and friends might like to talk. This is often one of the few occasions when relatives meet and quite often it is ruined by an overly loud band or disco.

If you can't supply a quiet area for people to just chill then please try and strike a balance with the volume of your entertainment.

What people tend to forget when planning their evening wedding function is that some of their relatives and friends might like to talk. This is often one of the few occasions when relatives meet and quite often it is ruined by an overly loud band or disco.

If you can't supply a quiet area for people to just chill then please try and strike a balance with the volume of your entertainment.

Point well made...I'll bear this in mind thanks Max

I find most guests expect a disco/DJ.......a live band can be terrible. A good boogie is the way to end a wedding day....plenty of time to talk later.

My point was that there isn't plenty of time to talk later, not if your guests have come from the four corners of the planet and only see each other at weddings or funerals. Most guests do expect a disco/DJ but how many actually want them?

Myself and my partner initially recoiled in horror at the thought of a DJ at our wedding (cast your minds back to the days of school discos - red and green flashing lights and 'I am the music man, I come from far away...and I can plaaaaay, pia, pia, piano, piano, piano')

We had intended on getting a live band to play. However, I have now realised that there are lots of songs I would like to dance to etc and so we would really need a DJ for this.

So what are people's opinions/experience?

Are DJs cheesy/tacky or can they be tasteful and classy. We will be paying a small fortune for the venue and food so I don't want to ruin the effect with awful 'entertainment'!

I always ask for a play, don't play, list from the client before the gig, and then play it by ear on the night . Very often the songs that you call cheesy are the songs that fill the dance floor any D.J worth his salt knows them all .As a long time D.J i know it takes time to get to know your crowd but once you have weighed them up it becomes second nature to know what to play next.As for the guests wanting to talk i get this all the time , play the music at low level if thats what they want,especially at buffet time.Tasteful and classy ?,put what you like, on the play list and let the D.J decide when to play them.Going back to the play list , i once had a four page double side list given to me it would have taken over eight hours to play each one.Have a great wedding.

Ive been to a wedding where there has been a semi pro wedding band on and to be honest it was extremely awkward, because all the family and friends just sat and watched the band without mingling. I left thinking it was an awful experience more like a semi formal concert, quite the disaster for the happy couple.

Whereas I have been to loads of weddings with DJs and to be honest a good DJ will take full control of the precedings and design the music and its order so that the night lifts and ebbs in the correct places.

As long as you get a DJ with a good reputation and experience of weddings and parties, then it will be a real highlight of the day.

We had a DJ, in fact we had Ghostrider :)

As long as you let the DJ know what you want and when they will play what you ask.

Everyone enjoyed the evening do at our wedding as we had a mix of music for everyone. (A good DJ will do this) Our music ranged from Motown to Rob Zombie and Steel Panther! :headbang:

We had a DJ, in fact we had Ghostrider :)

As long as you let the DJ know what you want and when they will play what you ask.

Everyone enjoyed the evening do at our wedding as we had a mix of music for everyone. (A good DJ will do this) Our music ranged from Motown to Rob Zombie and Steel Panther! :headbang:

And it was a great night as well :D

Archived