DJs at wedding - cheesy or classy?

Ive been to a wedding where there has been a semi pro wedding band on and to be honest it was extremely awkward, because all the family and friends just sat and watched the band without mingling. I left thinking it was an awful experience more like a semi formal concert, quite the disaster for the happy couple.

See, I'd say that's the band's fault. If the band aren't getting people dancing, they're doing their job badly in my view.

Myself and my partner initially recoiled in horror at the thought of a DJ at our wedding (cast your minds back to the days of school discos - red and green flashing lights and 'I am the music man, I come from far away...and I can plaaaaay, pia, pia, piano, piano, piano')

We had intended on getting a live band to play. However, I have now realised that there are lots of songs I would like to dance to etc and so we would really need a DJ for this.

So what are people's opinions/experience?

Are DJs cheesy/tacky or can they be tasteful and classy. We will be paying a small fortune for the venue and food so I don't want to ruin the effect with awful 'entertainment'!

If you pick the right DJ, then your wedding will end up being successful! Believe me!:hihi:

If you get a pro-covers band, that do weddings and functions week in week out, and entertain the masses of clubland in-between, they know the score. they work hard crowds on a regular basis, so its up to the band to get people up dancing by playing the right choice of music. This should be pre-arranged before the day, if not, then the band will choose they set based on passed events on what gfoes down well. A band does not have to be loud, we play a lot of weddings and often scale down our PA to suit. there seems to be a freighning look on people faces when we turn up with 2x tops and 2 x bins, just becasue we have have 2 more speakers than the DJ does mean were going to be much louder than the disco. Clarity is more importat over volume. If you want a band, arrange a meeting, talk through the set, what you want, etc. Tell them, if you dont you get what your given. Also remember, you get what you pay for. Your mates fella who is in a band and will charge you £150 for the wedding do, for his band, will not be the same quality as a band chargind 5-600. Bands that charge more are (in most cases) better musicians, have studied the set for months, if not years, worked on a show, spent hundreds of hours rehearsing, and at least 10k on PA/Lights. Johns mate may only have a £200 quid PA and the whole band are just jammers. As said before a 'semi pro' band, you dont want semi pro - you want pro.

If you get a pro-covers band, that do weddings and functions week in week out, and entertain the masses of clubland in-between, they know the score. they work hard crowds on a regular basis, so its up to the band to get people up dancing by playing the right choice of music. This should be pre-arranged before the day, if not, then the band will choose they set based on passed events on what gfoes down well. A band does not have to be loud, we play a lot of weddings and often scale down our PA to suit. there seems to be a freighning look on people faces when we turn up with 2x tops and 2 x bins, just becasue we have have 2 more speakers than the DJ does mean were going to be much louder than the disco. Clarity is more importat over volume. If you want a band, arrange a meeting, talk through the set, what you want, etc. Tell them, if you dont you get what your given. Also remember, you get what you pay for. Your mates fella who is in a band and will charge you £150 for the wedding do, for his band, will not be the same quality as a band chargind 5-600. Bands that charge more are (in most cases) better musicians, have studied the set for months, if not years, worked on a show, spent hundreds of hours rehearsing, and at least 10k on PA/Lights. Johns mate may only have a £200 quid PA and the whole band are just jammers. As said before a 'semi pro' band, you dont want semi pro - you want pro.

I couldn't agree more. 100% spot on.

If you pick the right DJ, then your wedding will end up being successful! Believe me!:hihi:

Very true. A bad dj can kill a reception and a good one can make it. Being at weddings a lot I have seen both happen.

As for whether all guests want a dj well that depends on your type of guest and the nature of the wedding etc. But it isn't about the guests... what do you as a couple want.

For our engagement party we brought a DJ from Birmingham to Liverpool, as we knew how good he was. Lots of family hadn't seen each other in ages. Everybody was so busy talking that he kept the music low, and virtually nobody danced, but everybody was gushing at the end of the night about how good he was

We took him to Scotland with us for the wedding too

He had everybody up and having a great time, and then when most of the family had gone to bed, only leaving us cousins, he broke out the rock :headbang:

There seems to be a big difference in costs as well. Two disco's recomemended by Ringwood Hall,one was £350 or £500 with uplighters, the other a special offer as well was £999 to include a dj, light up dance floor and uplighters. They also charge extra if you do not use their recomended dj.

There seems to be a big difference in costs as well. Two disco's recomemended by Ringwood Hall,one was £350 or £500 with uplighters, the other a special offer as well was £999 to include a dj, light up dance floor and uplighters. They also charge extra if you do not use their recomended dj.

"The law states that you must not profit from not providing a service. This is different from a cancellation of a service already booked.

A venue cannot charge a client for not having a service which they have not booked or did not want in the first place. That is profiteering. There are ways around it, for example some venues charge exorbitant corkage charges because they claim they lose out on drinks sales, yet that it is illegal (if they say that) they are not losing out on any sales because they have not had to purchase the goods in the first place to service a client who had already said they were supplying their own. Corkage should reperesent the actual cost of opening, serving and servicing (wear and tear on glasses, cleaning of them etc).

They also charge extra if you do not use their recomended dj.

there are venues where dj's have a contract with the venue to perform at all their functions. alas, some of these dj's are not good (heard a dj talk about tampax during the buffet at a party i once got dragged to - 20 years ago and i still remember it) and they can be more expensive. ordinary members of the public booking a venue dont know exactly what to look for and what to ask.

being able to bring your own entertainers can be a big plus when people are looking to book your venue.

remember that even though it is your party and you are paying the dj, he is there to entertain everyone including your guests. get it right and everyone will have a night to remember and to thank you for, get it wrong and the guests will get disinterested and leave early.

Archived