DJs at wedding - cheesy or classy?

To me very tacky and dull! It means you can't hear anyone to have a chat and you get the same music at every wedding!

Not true at all, I know dj's (myself included) that meet with the couple in advance of the actual wedding, and give them the option of what music they want.

For example, they could come up with lists of "must haves" "would like" and "dont play" etc, etc.

So each and every wedding is tailored to exactly what the couple want.

As we say, its their day, they get what THEY want....

To me very tacky and dull! It means you can't hear anyone to have a chat and you get the same music at every wedding!

if you hire a Reputable wedding dj there are a few on here including Ghostrider above & myself & others i could name. you get the music your guest & you want at a level of volume that fits the your pre discussed requirements.

or alternatively you book a inexperienced wannabe dj again there are a few on here you end up with what you quoted above.

it is always inportant for the client to state the way they want the event to run.

if they dont feel confident in the dj dont book them :cool:

I know you don't have to have that music but every wedding I have been to has a cheesy disco (yawn) I'm not moaning about djs I am moaning that every wedding has the same formula.

The problem being that everyone seems to like cheesy disco music.

The wonders of alcohol :hihi:

I know you don't have to have that music but every wedding I have been to has a cheesy disco (yawn) I'm not moaning about djs I am moaning that every wedding has the same formula.

I do get a mixture of weddings where the couple ask me, and provide me with a list of songs, which are rock and/or indie. Many couples now tell me not to play cheesey music. In fact I have one wedding coming up very soon where I have to play rock and blues music throughout as that is what the couple love and their guests will enjoy this. I have another shortly where the couple want Brit Pop as their theme.

Unfortunately many couples book a package with a hotel and don't get the opportunity to meet the DJ in advance - so they get what they are given. The DJ's cheesey playlist that they play over and over again each night as parties are rolled in and out. It's a nice, easy gig for them and requires little thought in advance. They have a formula that is guaranteed to get people dancing, but will also leave others seething.

I DJ weddings because I want the couple to tell me what they want played, I enjoy the challenge of sourcing the songs and putting together a personal playlist. I find out little bits of info, friends in the party and songs that are special to them...in fact I have a few little tricks that I do which I won't mention here (got to keep some trade secrets ;) ). If I didn't have this interaction I wouldn't enjoy doing what I do. I can safely walk away at the end of the night knowing I have made that evening special and memorable for all the right reasons.

Why is it a problem that people like cheesy/popular disco music? the point of a disco is to play music people enjoy not what the D.J thinks they should .Recently did a drum and bass party played nothing else all night, their choice.

I did a Wedding last year and before our client meeting the Bride sent me an extremely strict playlist. I went to meet the couple like I always do to discuss various things but the important thing to this topic is that we sat and discussed (at great length) their taste in music and the age range and tastes of their guests.

The original playlist was a whole load of Fleetwood Mac and anything else between Bob Dylan and Beyonce and Motown!

My only restriction was to NOT play anything really cheesy such as has been mentioned, agadoo, music man etc.

We eventually worked out a list that was workable, danceable and wouldn't have their guests moaning at me the whole night. We also agreed they would leave me to do what i'm there to do - pick and play the tunes at the right times that I feel will get people dancing.

The evening was a massive success, I ended up playing over an extra hour, got a lovely tip and one of the best testimonials i've ever received.

A quality DJ will make sure you have a brilliant time and play music that you enjoy. A sixty quid sid pub DJ will not.

I did a Wedding last year and before our client meeting the Bride sent me an extremely strict playlist. I went to meet the couple like I always do to discuss various things but the important thing to this topic is that we sat and discussed (at great length) their taste in music and the age range and tastes of their guests.

The original playlist was a whole load of Fleetwood Mac and anything else between Bob Dylan and Beyonce and Motown!

My only restriction was to NOT play anything really cheesy such as has been mentioned, agadoo, music man etc.

We eventually worked out a list that was workable, danceable and wouldn't have their guests moaning at me the whole night. We also agreed they would leave me to do what i'm there to do - pick and play the tunes at the right times that I feel will get people dancing.

The evening was a massive success, I ended up playing over an extra hour, got a lovely tip and one of the best testimonials i've ever received.

A quality DJ will make sure you have a brilliant time and play music that you enjoy. A sixty quid sid pub DJ will not.

All that lot is called "Stating the Obvious" are trying to make out you are the only D.J who has such a policy, i have used the same system for years it is nothing new,just remember "he who pays the piper calls the tune" and let them take the blame if it all goes flat.

Are you just a troll on here as i've yet to see you make one useful or informative post.

You seem to wait for people to post something that you can jump on.

Did I once mention you? Did I say this is something only I do? Did I even mention anything that vaguely gives you that impression?

I was posting a valid answer and view. A few other members have posted similar answers.

If you've got nothing constructive to say, why not just keep your petty comments to yourself? Or is it just me you've taken a disliking to?

Archived