What would you have done?

What should the squad leader have done?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the squad leader have done?

• Send a soldier in to remove the dog.
    • Wait for the dog to move.
    • Leave the IED and the dog alone for someone else to detonate.
    • Shoot dog before he blows up.
    • Other. (Please explain below)

The absolute least they could have done is try calling the dog over away from the explosion, or scaring it away.

Instead they chose to wait for it to get nice and close and then laugh maniacally as they killed it.

As for the point about 'giving away their position' they are driving through a populated area in the daytime in a convoy with at least 3 vehicles, everyone already knows their position. They're hardly seal team six.

The point everyone seems to missing is that according to the report the soldiers set up the bomb themselves.

The absolute least they could have done is try calling the dog over away from the explosion, or scaring it away.

Instead they chose to wait for it to get nice and close and then laugh maniacally as they killed it.

As for the point about 'giving away their position' they are driving through a populated area in the daytime in a convoy with at least 3 vehicles, everyone already knows their position. They're hardly seal team six.

You know, calling the dog over never came to mind.

We have one good suggestion.

I imagine being in a war can make people go a bit maniacal.

Very much so, I doubt I would be handing out dog treats after seeing my mates get blown in half and seeing kids torn to bits, I probably wouldn't be in that frame of mind.

Why would they call the dog over? The report clearly suggests that they set the bomb with the intention of killing the dog.

Yup, that's a large part of it.

We have the capacity to suffer a lot more than they do, so it is more important to prevent that suffering.

So intelligence determines whether life is important, in that case an intelligent human is more important than a stupid human and a dolphin if more important than many humans. We don’t prevent human suffering we prolong it; we do however prevent the suffering of dogs and other animals by putting them down when they are suffering.

Archived