What would you have done?

What should the squad leader have done?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the squad leader have done?

• Send a soldier in to remove the dog.
    • Wait for the dog to move.
    • Leave the IED and the dog alone for someone else to detonate.
    • Shoot dog before he blows up.
    • Other. (Please explain below)

You know, calling the dog over never came to mind.
Not surprising, considering the perspective you've come at this from and your motives for starting this thread.

C'mon now, don't be the anti-CXC, we don't need that. :(

I imagine being in a war can make people go a bit maniacal.

That is an explanation, but not a justification.

Erm, i was.

Im sorry you cant understand a simple question.

Here, let me simplify it foryou.

How many dogs did you interview before you came to the conclusion they dont suffer as much as we do?

You don't need to conduct a poll to know that.

Humans are capable of abstract thought. Dogs are not.

No dog has ever feared the future or contemplated its own mortality, or been able to regret the past, or fret about an illness.

You know, calling the dog over never came to mind.

We have one good suggestion.

I imagine being in a war can make people go a bit maniacal.

Dogs tend not to respond to someone shout “hay dog come here” now if they knew its name and the dog new its name it might have come to them. But yes being an an war zone when your life is on the line every day does make you change.

Why would they call the dog over? The report clearly suggests that they set the bomb with the intention of killing the dog.

I didn't suggest that. You're really hanging on the "The planted it" bit. Lets just say they didn't plant it and the situation was as high a threat as usual. What would you have done? Most people have been bold enough to get off the fence and answer without name calling. Why can't you?

No dog has ever feared the future or contemplated its own mortality, or been able to regret the past, or fret about an illness.

How do you know?

Ill answer that for you.

You dont.

I didn't suggest that. You're really hanging on the "The planted it" bit. Lets just say they didn't plant it and the situation was as high a threat as usual. What would you have done?

Only because it appears likely to be the case.

If they didn't plant it (unlikely) and knew it was imminently about to go off and I was in charge of the situation I'd probably attempt to distract the dog and get it away from danger, but I wouldn't risk any human life to do so.

Why are you so reluctant to accept the likelihood that they planted it themselves for a laugh?

How do you know other animals don’t contemplate its own mortality, or been able to regret the past, or fret about an illness, after all you don’t have the mental capacity to understand them?

Animals fear death, if they didn't why would they run away from a predator, and some humans with mental disability probably haven’t contemplated its own mortality, or been able to regret the past, or fret about an illness.

So intelligence determines whether life is important, in that case an intelligent human is more important than a stupid human.
Oh wow!!!! I didn't see that coming!!!! :hihi:

Nope, that is not a consequence of what I have said.

There's a line, above which I think all creatures should be given some basic rights. I would actually set this line well below humans, I think all of the great apes, elephants, and cetaceans should be granted some sort of special legal status.

and a dolphin if more important than many humans.
Methinks you are overestimating Dolphins somewhat, Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy wasn't real you know.

We don’t prevent human suffering we prolong it; we do however prevent the suffering of dogs and other animals by putting them down when they are suffering.
Don't complain to me about that, complain to society. I'm all for euthanasia to prevent suffering.

The absolute least they could have done is try calling the dog over away from the explosion, or scaring it away.
Dogs tend not to respond to someone shout “hay dog come here” now if they knew its name and the dog new its name it might have come to them.

Perhaps you're right, but we'll never know, because they didn't even have the decency to try calling it over. In fact, it's plain from the video that they want it to be there, and take pleasure from killing it. So your objection is completely moot.

Archived