What would you have done?

What should the squad leader have done?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the squad leader have done?

• Send a soldier in to remove the dog.
    • Wait for the dog to move.
    • Leave the IED and the dog alone for someone else to detonate.
    • Shoot dog before he blows up.
    • Other. (Please explain below)

Methinks you are overestimating Dolphins somewhat, Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy wasn't real you know.

(ME) SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC:

I read an article recently about how sets of dolphins in two tanks who couldn't see each other were shown coloured boxes all with food in. After the first one was allowed to check the boxes out, they communicated which was the best box to the other, and they virtually always went for that one first.

Dolphins are very intelligent creatures and have developed language sets which can be used to communicate philosophical concepts.

Oh wow!!!! I didn't see that coming!!!! :hihi:

Nope, that is not a consequence of what I have said.

There's a line, above which I think all creatures should be given some basic rights. I would actually set this line well below humans, I think all of the great apes, elephants, and cetaceans should be granted some sort of special legal status.

Methinks you are overestimating Dolphins somewhat, Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy wasn't real you know.

Don't complain to me about that, complain to society. I'm all for euthanasia to prevent suffering.

It was you that said we prevent human suffering when clearly we don’t; we are actually more likely to prevent the suffering of other animals which is a good thing.

The one thing humans have that other animals probably don’t have is the arrogance to think we are more important than them just become some of us are more intelligent.

Why are you so reluctant to accept the likelihood that they planted it themselves for a laugh?

a. Because that seems like a ridiculously stupid idea.

b. Because it is not clear from the video.

c. Because the person saying that it is true is a writer for the daily mail, who will say anything to make their stories more shocking.

It was you that said we prevent human suffering when clearly we don’t; we are actually more likely to prevent the suffering of other animals which is a good thing.
I've already addressed this. I am completely in favour of euthanasia for humans and animals in many circumstances.

The one thing humans have that other animals probably don’t have is the arrogance to think we are more important than them just become some of us are more intelligent.

Are you going to tell me single cell bacteria can suffer to the same extent that humans can?

Are you going to tell me that insects can suffer to the same extent that humans can?

A line has to be drawn at some point, there can be debate on where it is, but your current position that it does not exist is untenable.

Only because it appears likely to be the case.

If they didn't plant it (unlikely) and knew it was imminently about to go off and I was in charge of the situation I'd probably attempt to distract the dog and get it away from danger, but I wouldn't risk any human life to do so.

Why are you so reluctant to accept the likelihood that they planted it themselves for a laugh?

I'm glad to see your as biased as ever. We'll see you defending rapists and terrorists next... oh, we already have!

Only because it appears likely to be the case.

If they didn't plant it (unlikely) and knew it was imminently about to go off and I was in charge of the situation I'd probably attempt to distract the dog and get it away from danger, but I wouldn't risk any human life to do so.

Thanks

I'm not.

If I had been trained to kill and was sent to a brutal war zone and saw some of the crap they saw, I imagine I would likely act the same way from time to time. Doesn't excuse it but it gives you an idea as to why they may act the way they do. I don't think you can just dismiss their behaviour as sick or something civilised people wouldn't do when they're not in a civilised war (I'm not saying Iraqis aren't civilised with that bit).

Being a trained killer isn't something you can just turn off.

I guess ultimately I feel bemused that thousands of people have been killed in a horrible war and people seem to hang on to some dog being killed as a reason to bash the west. As the original thread was intended and accepted.

I've already addressed this. I am completely in favour of euthanasia for humans and animals in many circumstances.

Are you going to tell me single cell bacteria can suffer to the same extent that humans can?

Are you going to tell me that insects can suffer to the same extent that humans can?

A line has to be drawn at some point, there can be debate on where it is, but your current position that it does not exist is untenable.

It’s not about suffering it’s about which is more important and single celled phytoplankton are much more important than humans, because without them we couldn't exist and without us other life would do much better.

Archived