What would you have done?

What should the squad leader have done?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the squad leader have done?

• Send a soldier in to remove the dog.
    • Wait for the dog to move.
    • Leave the IED and the dog alone for someone else to detonate.
    • Shoot dog before he blows up.
    • Other. (Please explain below)

Who has said anything about Americans? I think you're the first person to use the word.

No-one has been tarring all Americans with the same brush. As ridiculous as Mel can be sometimes, you've got no grounds for calling him out on this occasion.

They were on the original version of this thread.

But even then they don't have to call anyone out for mel to jump in accusing everybody but himself of being a this and that!

Thanks

You're welcome.

I'm not.

Good, but I didn't really understand the way you were looking at it.

If I had been trained to kill and was sent to a brutal war zone and saw some of the crap they saw, I imagine I would likely act the same way from time to time. Doesn't excuse it but it gives you an idea as to why they may act the way they do. I don't think you can just dismiss their behaviour as sick or something civilised people wouldn't do when they're not in a civilised war (I'm not saying Iraqis aren't civilised with that bit).

I agree with you. I hope I wouldn't behave that way, but having read a great many first hand accounts of those who've experienced war, I absolutely understand the way in which it can desensitise people to acts of brutality and violence that utterly appal those of us who have comfortable, safe lives.

Being a trained killer isn't something you can just turn off.

Quite true. Extremely difficult for many.

I guess ultimately I feel bemused that thousands of people have been killed in a horrible war and people seem to hang on to some dog being killed as a reason to bash the west. As the original thread was intended and accepted.

'Bashing the West' - or as I prefer to think of it 'Sometimes being critical of the West' is an entirely legitimate thing to do.

I think some folks have difficulty with the idea that it's quite possible to enjoy all the privileges of living in a Western democracy and still raise a voice in protest at one's own or other governments from time to time.

I just watch the things you defend and those you condemn. The pattern is self evident as many are already aware on here!

You may not say certain things outright, but in your actions lies the truth!

Name one thing you claim I've defended, or you're still a liar.

What on earth is the last line supposed mean?

You're right. Doesn't mean you should be thinking for it.
What are you on about? You could say the same thing about any inanimate object. Do you feel bad about picking up a stone and skimming it across the water because the stone didn't get a choice?

With regards to survival plankton may well be more valuable to the planet than man. Just showing that ultimately, all life is valuable and none more than another.
That's not what it shows. It simply shows that without plankton I could not exist. I'm still more valuable than plankton.

Without coal, diamonds could not exist. Yet diamonds are more valuable than coal.

'Bashing the West' - or as I prefer to think of it 'Sometimes being critical of the West' is an entirely legitimate thing to do.

I think some folks have difficulty with the idea that it's quite possible to enjoy all the privileges of living in a Western democracy and still raise a voice in protest at one's own or other governments from time to time.

I agree, we should bash away. The thing is lets bash the right things here. Lets look at it how it was originally intended. A west hating poster uses a video of a few soldiers killing a dog as a way to bash the west and people followed. Why bash the soldiers and not the very thing that put them there? Politicians elected by us in order to secure energy supplies for our consumption. It's all too easy to blame the horrid soldiers though.

Nice to finally have a discussion with you.

Archived