What would you have done?

What should the squad leader have done?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the squad leader have done?

• Send a soldier in to remove the dog.
    • Wait for the dog to move.
    • Leave the IED and the dog alone for someone else to detonate.
    • Shoot dog before he blows up.
    • Other. (Please explain below)

That's one way to put it. Of the 2 people I know who have joined the army, one of them's a nice guy who wanted to give himself good career prospects after not doing so well at school, and the other was a total thug who just wanted to get to use guns and be 'ard'. Admittedly, its a very small sample though.

I've known 4 ex service men in my time.

One was in his early 20s at the time, i met him whilst he was on leave through another mate. The guy was constantly thrill seeking. I recall being in his car going up Nethertorpe road touching 100. Bear in mind his car was overlaiden with ratarsed lads.

The other 3 where lads a bit older than me who'd just come out of the paras. I met them in a chinese takeaway one night on our estate. They proceeded to take the micky out of me. Being pssed up, i had some duch courage and said a load back and threatened the biggest of them. Instead of getting in a fight the lads laughed their heads off and befriended me. I recall been down Hillsborough in the Ball on a number of occaisions witnessing these lads looking for fights to be involved with. They even bailed me out of a few in there too. Years later, it turned out these lads where all mates of my best pals big bro.

Don't you think it's sick, valuing human lives more than animals lives?

You seem to missing the part of the report where it says the soldiers appear to have set the IED themselves.

I wouldn't be party to a damn stupid enterprise like setting IED's to blow up dogs in the first place.

Doubt if the IED was set to kill dogs anyway.

Angel.

Coming from someone who values his life as having literally the same worth as pond scum I'll take that with a pinch of salt. :hihi:

As I've said, for me it's about capacity for suffering. I can suffer a lot more than an insect, or some plankton. Therefore preventing my suffering is more important.

The fact that there are food chains and those at the top cannot survive without those at the bottom does not come into it, it is completely irrelevant.

If all the plankton died you would suffer, if by killing you we saved the plankton that would prevent your suffering and save the more valuable species.

This is a very controversial statement. I've known a few frontline soldiers in my time, and they have all been adrenaline junkies.

Like it or not, a front line soldier actually gets a buzz from being in battle, shooting guns, blowing things up and killing people. It's not the norm in modern society for every human being to unleash their hunting instincts, so it takes a certain kind of individual to want to do a front line soldiers job.

Any forum members who have willingly done such a job in the forces please feel free to either confirm or denny this statement. After all, this is a dicussion forum.

Confirmed, all humans are different and if it wasn’t for the killer instinct in humans then we probably wouldn’t be here.

To you AJ and halibut.

Are no dogs worth more than humans?

No of course not. Do you understand what you are asking ?

If you were on a jury and you were to consider the life of a dog as equal to that of a human you could easily find that you might cause a grave miscarriage of justice.

If I was in control of a runaway vehicle with no brakes and it was going down hill and I had to decide whether to run over a human or a dog as there were only two possible paths to steer I would run over the dog.

If I had run over the human I could easily find myself in prison for murder or manslaughter. Whereas the dog does not have the same protection of the law. If you are so sentimental that you think that a furry animal has more rights than a human or even equal rights, then you are mixed up and have extremely questionable morals in my view.

Why is there not an option to vote for exactly what they did? If there were, that is what I would have voted.

All other options have an implied, added danger to them for people whether they be soldiers or the locals and as such are not worth the risk for the life of a dog.

Confirmed, all humans are different and if it wasn’t for the killer instinct in humans then we probably wouldn’t be here.

If humans didn't have a killer instinct to cause harm on other humans, then we'd either all be here, or be facing a population explosion that the earths resources couldn't cope with.

If the majority of humans on both sides refused to kill one another, then the politians and ruling elite would have no one to do their dirty work.

Archived