What's wrong with my bike?

selphie

Hi all,

My hubby bought me a second hand bike for christmas off ebay. It's in pretty good shape and doesn't look like it's ever been ridden. I got it out today, gave it a wipe down and set off to my friends house only there seems to be something wrong with it.

As i'm riding along, the chain seems to 'slip' and the pedals spin round until it catches again and has tension. It then just keeps doing that. It doesn't seem to change gear either. Anyone know what I need to do to fix it? Or is there a man I can pay to fix it for me lol!!!

Thanks for reading :)

There are a few on here who do bike repairs but I cannot for the life of me remember who they are.

It sounds like the gears are not indexing properly, there are plenty of online guides on how to do it so have a go yourself before getting someone else.

Needs chain tightening. Try putting it on highest gear manually (put it in highest gear then move the chain yourself) see if it slips. If it slips it wants tightening. You can do it yourself by removing a link or two, you'll need a tensioner tool though.

If it has a rear gears the chain doesn't need touching. The rear derailleur takes care of that.

sounds like the teeth on the casssette on the rear wheel could be worn and or the gears could be out of tune

The OP said it looks like the bike has never been used. To me, that suggests the gears need an initial set up or a re-tune after the cables have stretched. For the cassette teeth to have worn to the point of jumping, there would be very obvious signs of wear and tare IMO :)

Archived