Recommend a nice country pub..

Pinnacle PAT

Try The Packhorse in Little Lingstone. It's a quirky pub with great beer and awsome food. A real find :). It's also just off the monsal trail if you want to get a walk in too.

I drove past it this morning, from the outside I reckon that 'quirky' is spot on, if the beer and food is as you say, it's a very good shout.

Has anybody been in The Old Pump, Barlow?

Yes, someone has been in the The Old Pump at Barlow. :) Would you like me to tell you about it?

It's ok. No real fire in there though that I recall. Food not bad. May have 1 or 2 real ales. Nothing special imo.

I'm not really clear what you are looking for Pat, except a country pub with a real fire?

If you want to STUN someone with a really historic old pub that has magnificent features from the last century then the Gate at Brassington has to be top of this league. The Barley Mow at Kirk Ireton is a similar, medieval, experience almost - but it's very small and pokey with bare stone floors and stuff. If you are going to travel that far - and it's about 45 mins to either of these - then go a bit further and visit the Bear at Alderwasley which has really excellent food and real fires as well.

I suspect you don't want to travel that far out. Some good recommendations have been made already actually, although not all of these have real fires.

The Red Lion at Litton certainly does. So does the Eyre Arms at Hassop.

There really are lots of pubs in Derbyshire with real fires but I'm sure that's not the only thing you are after? Or is it a meeting of the S12 Pyromaniacs Anonymous Society?

I'd suggest you go to the Scotsman's Pack at Hathersage, or the Old Cheshire Cheese at Edale road Hope, or the Red Lion at Litton or Eyre Arms at Hassop. All should be within 30 mins drive.

If you want to STUN someone with a really historic old pub that has magnificent features from the last century then the Gate at Brassington has to be top of this league. The Barley Mow at Kirk Ireton is a similar, medieval, experience almost - but it's very small and pokey with bare stone floors and stuff. If you are going to travel that far - and it's about 45 mins to either of these - then go a bit further and visit the Bear at Alderwasley which has really excellent food and real fires as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'd never heard of the Gate at Brassington before, but if it's anything like the Barley Mow I'm going :)

Thanks for the tip. I'd never heard of the Gate at Brassington before, but if it's anything like the Barley Mow I'm going :)

Well worth a visit I'd say. If you want a really good source of "interesting" pubs - and by that I mean, pubs with unusual features or lots of character, then I've found the Good Pub Guide, by Alisdair Aird, to be an invaluable companion. I keep it in my car everywhere I go. It is totally independent and they only list a small number of places that they consider to be rather special for one reason or another. You can actually access this online for nothing! Just put "Good Pub Guide" into Google and it will come up.

You can then enter the area you are looking for and select pubs within 3,5,10,20, 50 miles of the place you've entered. If you go for "Advanced Search" you can specify that you want pubs that are especially good for beer, food, accommodation, etc. It's really excellent and I wouldn't travel anywhere new without consulting it if I was considering stopping for lunch or maybe just a drink.

I'll post a link to it here for anyone that is interested...

http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/

Archived