Recommend a nice country pub..

Pinnacle PAT

There used to be a pub called the Druid Inn at Birchover that did really good food

There did - and there still is - but it doesn't.

The Druid Inn at Birchover was indeed a fine place. A traditional, rustic old country inn with big fires - and several dining areas.

In the small bar immediately as you came in, the wall was filled floor to ceiling with blackboards listing all the dishes. It was a bewildering choice - absolutely something for everyone, from staple favourites, like roasts, or stews and steak and kidney puddings, to Eastern dishes such as Chinese, Indian, Thai and locally caught rabbit, or pheasant or duck - I mean - it was like nowhere else that I've ever been to, anywhere, for that matter. And my word is was very good quality. The guy who ran it was called Mr Bunce - and he also had a restaurant just outside Matlock for a while - which strangely never really took off.

Some years back, maybe 10 years back now, the Druid was taken over by new owners. I think (and I may be wrong about this) that it was something to do with The Smiths of Artisan/Catch/Thyme Cafe and Brew Kitchen fame. At least, that's what I heard.

All I know is that on a subsequent visit, the place had changed beyond all recognition.

Gone were the blackboards and extensive menus.

Gone were the rustic features and decor - the place had been turned into something that wouldn't look out of place in Kensington or Chelsea - and all this in a little pub up in the Derbyshire hills. Ridiculous.

We had a meal there - it was distinctly "average" and very expensive.

So, we've never been back since.

My sister-in-law has been there recently with friends who live locally - she confirms that our experience was the same as hers. So, sadly...

avoid.:(

Archived