Weekly housing benefit cut from £438/week to just £340/week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jan/01/housing-benefit-cuts-case-study

Louise Ryan, 41, who lives with her husband and two children in Islington, north London, will see the £438-a-week benefit, which covers the rent, reduced to £340 under the changes to housing benefit introduced this month.

Will somebody please think of the landlords!

Thats a lot of rent and many in Sheffield make £438 last a month not a week.

Household size and geographical location determines one's income in the UK.

By working hard, one will not see any reward.

Spread your seed and up your dole, then you can buy more Xmas cards that were made in China next year.

Household size and geographical location determines one's income in the UK.

How strange. When did that change? When I lived in the UK, my salary depended upon what my employer was prepared to pay me. I didn't get a pay rise because my son was born.

I have received local cost of living allowances, but that was because my employer wanted me to move to a location where the cost of living was higher (and when I was moved to places with a lower cost of living, the COLA was reduced.)

It won't make any difference to the landlord. It will to the family who look like being unable to afford the rent and becoming homeless.

When the government pays them such high sums of monay then of course it will. These landlords might even be forced to work an actual job for a living.

It won't make any difference to the landlord. It will to the family who look like being unable to afford the rent and becoming homeless.

I think it will make a difference, as the landlords won't be able to attract tenants who can afford the rent they demand. Of course a few landlords may be philanthropic and accept the reduced rent, but somehow I don't think that practice will be widespread.

I think the last government were irresponsible paying for people to live in homes way above average rent levels, especially in certain parts of London. I feel very sorry for families who have had this kind of lifestyle (which is unattainable for most of us) but who are now threatened with its removal. It should never have been encouraged.

However, without more affordable homes, I'm not sure where local authorities are going to place families who become homeless because of these changes.

However, without more affordable homes, I'm not sure where local authorities are going to place families who become homeless because of these changes.

In the first instance, they'll probably have to put them up in Bed-and-breakfast accommodation. Then, no doubt, they'll be moved to those areas of the country where housing is cheapest.

They will let private landlords buy houses for let in areas that were traditionally bought by first time buyers. This will drive up the price for a "first step" house and create more people to depend on renting and further stretch social housing.

Archived