Weekly housing benefit cut from £438/week to just £340/week

That amount is just crazy,how many people who work can afford to pay that? very few I suspect,those who get their rent paid will have to move to a area more in keeping with their lot and quite right too.

Most do, hence why London has higher wages.

So again

1)Where are all these properties in the north they can move to?

2)Where are all these millions of jobs in the north?

3)Who pays for removal expenses?

That amount is just crazy,how many people who work can afford to pay that? very few I suspect,those who get their rent paid will have to move to a area more in keeping with their lot and quite right too.

There are a lot of very well paid jobs in London. There are a limited number of houses in that area of London, so only a few do pay it, just enough to fill those houses. I suspect the majority of people that pay rent in Islington pay it from their own wages & housing benefit cuts wont have any real effect on rent prices there, it'll just mean the benefit claimants have to move somewhere cheaper (like outside London?).

If we look at this site we can see the average rent prices for different areas of London: http://www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/average_rental_prices.html There aren't many places in London where they could rent a property with 3 bedrooms, for their family of 4 for under £340/week. It's pricing benefit claimants out of London.

I think it will make a difference, as the landlords won't be able to attract tenants who can afford the rent they demand. Of course a few landlords may be philanthropic and accept the reduced rent, but somehow I don't think that practice will be widespread.

I think the last government were irresponsible paying for people to live in homes way above average rent levels, especially in certain parts of London. I feel very sorry for families who have had this kind of lifestyle (which is unattainable for most of us) but who are now threatened with its removal. It should never have been encouraged.

However, without more affordable homes, I'm not sure where local authorities are going to place families who become homeless because of these changes.

What kind of lifestyle are you alluding to? Are you saying that someone on benefits (i.e. that minimum that the law says that you can live on) will enjoy a greater lifestyle just because they are living in a more expensive area?

How does that work?

I would have thought that being on the dole in Islington is just as depressing as being on the dole in Parson Cross.

£438pw is about average for Islington.

So move somewhere cheaper then, as I suggested.

And where do they move to? Does Sheffield Homes have too many properties in abundance?

Sheffield Homes is part of social housing, whereas they are renting from private accommodation, so that's no argument. I'm quite sure it's possible to find cheaper private accommodation elsewhere in the country for less that £1473 per month.

Plus there is far less jobs in Sheffield than Islington.

Perhaps then their reduction in benefits might encourage them to take up some of this work in Islington. Are there that many jobs in Islington that pay enough to cover over £23,000/yr just in rent?

Suppose you lost your job where you have roots and family in an area would you like it if you was starved, stressed and then made homeless?

I would move where ever necessary to avoid my family from starving/homeless. If that meant moving away from my roots, then so be it. I can move back when I can afford to live there, if I wished.

Even if you didn't account for all the benefits they are receiving, I could house myself and one adult and 2 children for JUST the amount that they are just getting paid for in rent per week.

What kind of lifestyle are you alluding to? Are you saying that someone on benefits (i.e. that minimum that the law says that you can live on) will enjoy a greater lifestyle just because they are living in a more expensive area?

How does that work?

I would have thought that being on the dole in Islington is just as depressing as being on the dole in Parson Cross.

Being on the dole anywhere can be depressing it depends on the individual concerned. However, I don't think that is the issue here.

Do you genuinely believe that a family even with two average earners could afford the inflated rents charged in some parts of London? If they can't, should a family with no earners be able to live in such expensive homes? There are lots of family sized properties in London advertised to rent for around £1k a month - just not in places like Islington or Kensington.

London has an amazing public transport system, and most people who live there expect to travel to work.

£438pw is about average for Islington. And where do they move to? Does Sheffield Homes have too many properties in abundance? Plus there is far less jobs in Sheffield than Islington.

Suppose you lost your job where you have roots and family in an area would you like it if you was starved, stressed and then made homeless?

buy them a motorhome...then they can go where they please...

There are a lot of very well paid jobs in London. There are a limited number of houses in that area of London, so only a few do pay it, just enough to fill those houses. I suspect the majority of people that pay rent in Islington pay it from their own wages & housing benefit cuts wont have any real effect on rent prices there, it'll just mean the benefit claimants have to move somewhere cheaper (like outside London?).

If we look at this site we can see the average rent prices for different areas of London: http://www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/average_rental_prices.html There aren't many places in London where they could rent a property with 3 bedrooms, for their family of 4 for under £340/week. It's pricing benefit claimants out of London.

£340 per week is a darn sight less than £2,000 per week, though, that the geezer on the other thread is being paid for a 2-bedroomed house..

Archived