Weekly housing benefit cut from £438/week to just £340/week

£340 per week is a darn sight less than £2,000 per week, though, that the geezer on the other thread is being paid for a 2-bedroomed house..

Sorry, I was responding to the thread that I posted in :confused:

If the other thread wasn't closed, then people could talk about that guy's situation there.

Being on the dole anywhere can be depressing it depends on the individual concerned. However, I don't think that is the issue here.

Do you genuinely believe that a family even with two average earners could afford the inflated rents charged in some parts of London? If they can't, should a family with no earners be able to live in such expensive homes? There are lots of family sized properties in London advertised to rent for around £1k a month - just not in places like Islington or Kensington.

London has an amazing public transport system, and most people who live there expect to travel to work.

I accept that there has always been exclusive areas, and I wouldn't expect someone else to pay for me to live there. And the point was well made by Rupert Baehr on the other thread (now closed - can't reply) that it would be better to spend £2,000 a week housing five families rather than just one.

The problem I have with the whole argument is that the blame is heaped upon those who claim the benefits. There is no acknowledgment of the fact that the housing market has inflated itself to a point where it has become unsustainable. And the only answer Grant Shapps can come up with is to sell more council houses, exacerbating the problem even more.

I accept that there has always been exclusive areas, and I wouldn't expect someone else to pay for me to live there. And the point was well made by Rupert Baehr on the other thread (now closed - can't reply) that it would be better to spend £2,000 a week housing five families rather than just one.

The problem I have with the whole argument is that the blame is heaped upon those who claim the benefits. There is no acknowledgment of the fact that the housing market has inflated itself to a point where it has become unsustainable. And the only answer Grant Shapps can come up with is to sell more council houses, exacerbating the problem even more.

I don't totally blame the people who have taken advantage of a skewed system, although I personally can't understand anyone on a low income feeling they have the 'right' to a property costing £2k a week. People need to be realistic and accept what is reasonable for them in their situation. Like you, I wouldn't expect others to pay for me to live in a more expensive area than them.

£2k a week would be better housing 5 families, and could house even more in Sheffield!

I hoped the last government would either withdraw the right to buy or at least remove it from new tenants. Given the current need for affordable rented housing, selling even more doesn't make sense. But the last government didn't stop it either.

Archived