Qualifications to study or work as a nurse

Hi,

i am just wanting a bit of advice I am currently wondering weather to have a slight change of career and maybe study or become a nurse.

I was wondering if you could go straight on to train to be a nurse ie. on the job if you hold NVQs in health and social care or if you have to go to college and/or uni first. Also IF you do have to attend uni or college first do you have to attend both and could I study it as i hold NVQs or do i need other things aswell. Also how long will I have to study this?

I know this is a little confusing but any help would be appreciated.

You need to attend Uni nowadays, even if you've got NVQs.

You can do a diploma, but entries for the last intake of that close soon (last course taking these on is Jan 2013), then it's just the degree.

That's 40 weeks of the year, I think and involves 20 weeks on placement and 20 weeks theory.

You need GCSE Maths, English and Science (or equivalent)

http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/subject/nursing-midwifery/

Hi,

i am just wanting a bit of advice I am currently wondering weather to have a slight change of career and maybe study or become a nurse.

I was wondering if you could go straight on to train to be a nurse ie. on the job if you hold NVQs in health and social care or if you have to go to college and/or uni first. Also IF you do have to attend uni or college first do you have to attend both and could I study it as i hold NVQs or do i need other things aswell. Also how long will I have to study this?

I know this is a little confusing but any help would be appreciated.

Depends if it's Level 3 but as has been said you need to do a 3 year full-time uni course first, also correctly pointed out you can do the diploma but it will be degree only soon (higher entry requirements for degree). Best to check with Hallam uni. If you don't have the entry requirements as of yet, you need it and depending on your age, there's various courses that would be sufficient. I did the Access to health Science course at Hillsbro' college part time but it's only full-time now (3 days a week). You need C in English and Maths too but if you dont have these you can do short courses to get the equivalent alongside your college course. Colleges outside Sheffield do the part-time access courses (also access courses which-I think- are more relevent such as the access to nursing and midwifery courses. I think Derby , Doncaster, and Rotherham college do Access courses, some part-time. Access courses are designmed for anyone over the age of 19 and we had people in their 40's on ours. Flies by and Adult nursing has a high intake of students and is fairly easy to get onto in my experience if you have the entry requirements and can prove/show you want to be a nurse.

The 3 years at uni flies by and you get the fees paid obviously , and get a bursary and help with childcare- depending on your circumstances (household income etc).

Good luck!

Archived