"Waste carrier" question.

Every couple of months or so i'll nip my uncle to the scrap yard in my van, he'll have a few kilo's of copper and aluminium etc, maybe £30 worth.

Now not having a carriers license could i be nicked for this. ?

I'm just doing a favour so do the waste carriers rules apply to me in these circumstances. ?

I just want to be clear on this as if i lost my van, which i've been told i could for helping him, i'd be out of work. :o

Nubile,

Why not ring the environment agency to ask the question, and be sure? I used to do some work involving waste carriers (the paper side of the job), and the we used to liaise with the environment agency . I always found them helpful & friendly if I had any concerns. Give them a ring.

“Splitting hairs”, the council told me that it is illegal if I took my next door neighbour’s garden waste to the tip without having a waste carriers license (because I am carrying someone else’s waste). So, be careful.

Nubile,

Why not ring the environment agency to ask the question, and be sure? I used to do some work involving waste carriers (the paper side of the job), and the we used to liaise with the environment agency . I always found them helpful & friendly if I had any concerns. Give them a ring.

“Splitting hairs”, the council told me that it is illegal if I took my next door neighbour’s garden waste to the tip without having a waste carriers license (because I am carrying someone else’s waste). So, be careful.

Welcome to the insane Country we have become.

Angel.

yes, because you are carrying someone else's waste. We were unaware of this until about four years ago when my husband got stopped. A licence is only about £130 for three years so it is not a fortunte. We just weren't aware of it at the time. it is not worth being unlicensed.

Every couple of months or so i'll nip my uncle to the scrap yard in my van, he'll have a few kilo's of copper and aluminium etc, maybe £30 worth.

Now not having a carriers license could i be nicked for this. ?

I'm just doing a favour so do the waste carriers rules apply to me in these circumstances. ?

I just want to be clear on this as if i lost my van, which i've been told i could for helping him, i'd be out of work. :o

I’m not sure if this is the correct document.

A Waste carrier is a person who transports controlled waste in the course of a business or otherwise with a view to profit.

Waste carriers dealer and brokers - who needs to register?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/Who_should_register.pdf

We do not require the carrier broker or dealer to register if the waste is not controlled waste. I wouldn't think metal isn't controlled waste.

We do not require the carrier to register:

if they are not carrying waste as part of their business or for profit

they are a householder carrying their own waste

I take it you are doing it free so not a business or for profit.

Archived