Why do so many people hate our protesters?

What's that got to do with anything. Its a feature part of the city centre and their scruffy camp is making the place look a mess. My office is very close by and it is very irritating seeing that shower camping there (or not as the case often is) each day.

Of course you can complain and criticise. We all have the right to do that. But you do it through proper channels and means. If I had a complaint about trains being late as you say. I would not have the right to squat and camp onboard the 7.20 master cutler each day :loopy:

The anti hunting march and anti war marches are good examples of peaceful protest with a genuine cause.

Occupy, anti capitalists, student marchs etc in my opinion are no more worthy of serious recognition than the london rioters who were allegedly smashing up JD Sports and New Look in the name of "protest". Only caring about what THEY can get out of it.

What really are these "protests" for?????

You dont like bankers -

your free to ditch your account and use ethical ones. Your free to choose not to use banking at all.

You dont like corporations -

your free to shop elsewhere and use local stores.

You dont like your bosses earning millions -

Your free to leave work at any time and do something else. Your free to resign, put grievances, tribunals against any treatment deemed unfair.

You dont like the police -

Justice systems allow for police complaints, internal investigations, government appeals and ombudsman, criminal injuries compensations and access to fair hearings.

You dont like being part of the system -

Your free to emigrate, become a traveller, go self sufficient, buy your own plot, build your own house, generate your own power and essentials.

You dont like the government -

Your free to make a uninfluenced democratic choice each local and general election. Your free to contact your MP/Councillor/Committee/Parish/Public Forum/Public Court Hearing/Public Council Chamber at any time to hear, observe, gather information or give opinion.

Dont like the media -

Your free to read, listen or view hundreds on independant articles, press, broadcasts with or without government influence. Internet with minimal national filtering allows access to further unbiased and uninfluenced information and opinion.

That's what we have in this country. We all have. Something other parts of the world can only dream of. Take a look at China, Singapore, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Lybia, Syria, Turkey, Cuba, Thailand and even parts of the USA.

Seriously, reasons for our "protests" are almost laughable.

Oversimplistic-likely to appeal to the superficial reader but no real examination of freedom ,ethics and naive in its assumptions.

Short term comfort or long-term progress?It is a hard choice.

Do tell about the long term progress and hard choices. We have free elections, freedom of expression, a welfare state, I don't fare getting either locked up by police or shot in the street. We might be at war (technically) but it's not on our doorstep and the only spectre of real doom is from terrorism. It's been like that since the 50s. We've had recessions come and go. Not really short term.

The anti hunting march and anti war marches are good examples of peaceful protest with a genuine cause.

[...] Seriously, reasons for our "protests" are almost laughable.

Why do you seperate between "good" and "bad" protest? All your criticisms equally apply to pro-hunting and anti-war protests aswell.

I identify "good" and "bad" protests as to what effect is has on the public opinion. After all that's the point isnt it.

Now, because hunting and anti-war were both well planned, well executed, well supported protests with a very specific cause and agenda these were and peaceful and undisruptive events. With the exception of a few road closures there could be very little complaint and therefore good public support for both causes. Their message and their facts were clear and concise.

Compared to the disorganised, grown up sleepover we have at the moment with absolutely no fixed plan, no direction, no real agenda, making things up as they go along, being disruptive, illegal activity, refusing to comply with the rules, being abusive towards those with a differing viewpoint and thus generally getting negative support from the public as can clearly be seen by the two polls on this forum and many many comments in the media.

Well do feel free to enlighten me with your detailed analysis and opinion

Dont expect any clear alternatives from the OS Squatters , they have none. they are just after a squat to hold up in for a while till they find some other property to break into and trash.

I identify "good" and "bad" protests as to what effect is has on the public opinion. After all that's the point isnt it.

I'm sure the protesters themselves would hope that, but it isn't always true. The pro-hunting protest march itself negates your point, in that it didn't affect public opinion. Protest itself is sometimes just but is fighting against public opinion, or it could be injust but public opinion could be in its favour. There is no solid set of rules for the "good" and the "bad".

Now, because hunting and anti-war were both well planned, well executed, well supported protests with a very specific cause and agenda these were and peaceful and undisruptive events.

You only need a small minority then to reduce the status of a protest then, using your rules. A million men can march, but 1 man smashes a window and the whole thing turns sour. I can't agree with that. It would be wonderful if people didn't behave like idiots when they protest, but that I'm not naive. It does happen.

I can accept your criticisms of Occupy, but they are more relevant in some places than in others. Occupy London and New York seem to be more important than Sheffield and Nowhereville, Texas.

I'd also like to point out that pro-hunting protest broke into the House of Commons. They weren't overtly "peaceful and undisruptive".

Archived