Partner died, do i have any rights.

im posting on behalf of a very good friend.

our friends partner died on new years day, he left behind 4 heartbroken young boys. my friend and her partner had been together for 5 years, they lived together as a married couple but never married, he was only in his early 30s and died very suddenly.

the man in question has a dad still alive who has basically took over, he wants to plan the funeral all himeslf without his sons partner having any envolvment, he blames her for the death of his son.

can this be done legally, we all know its not right but has my friend got any rights, she wants to bury her partner, she knew he more than anyone and is the mother to his kids, she is also heartbroken and cannot cope with this.

when the postmortem is completed, who will get the death cert, his dad or his partner.

any advice or help would be appriciated.

Very sad news indeed then, but it is a tricky situation for her to be in.

it certainly is, ive just been looking at the link you sent me and a few others, it seems she has very little rights... so sad, my heart breaks for her little family it really does.

From the website, should tell you most of what you need to know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_067362.pdf

Very sorry to hear of the situation. Unfortunately, going from that info your friend has next to no rights in law. I guess the only exceptions would be if the partner made a will confirming his wishes.

From the website, should tell you most of what you need to know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_067362.pdf

Very sorry to hear of the situation. Unfortunately, going from that info your friend has next to no rights in law. I guess the only exceptions would be if the partner made a will confirming his wishes.

i dont think he made a will, none of us expected this, he was much loved and will be sadly missed for a long time to come. lets just hope his father plays nicely and realises what a mistake he is making before its too late.

i dont think he made a will
In that case, intestacy rules apply and she has just about no rights at all. Being engaged makes no difference.

I have just gone through the exact same thing in respect of my brother in law since August 2011 (and helping his fiancee, kids from 1st marriage, etc.), and it's only just beginning to get sorted out now, about 6 months later.

His children are first (and potentially the only ones) in line for any succession, and the estate will need to be administered by their remaining/surviving legal guardian (the mother of all and/or the eldest kid(s)...hopefully that's your friend. If not, potentially more heartache), who has to apply for probate.

I realise this doesn't help with the situation with his dad/the funeral arrangements, but contact the probate office/registry in Sheffield soonest, they will be able to explain the first few things that need to be done.

Go see a family solicitor as well, most usually provide a first free consultation to at least determine the current situation.

Do you know if they had a mortgage together as well? if so, she needs to get that sorted out soonest because, under intestacy rules, his kids could be entitled to half or more of the house (and/or life insurance payment), depending on the type of deed in place.

im posting on behalf of a very good friend.

our friends partner died on new years day, he left behind 4 heartbroken young boys. my friend and her partner had been together for 5 years, they lived together as a married couple but never married, he was only in his early 30s and died very suddenly.

the man in question has a dad still alive who has basically took over, he wants to plan the funeral all himeslf without his sons partner having any envolvment, he blames her for the death of his son.

can this be done legally, we all know its not right but has my friend got any rights, she wants to bury her partner, she knew he more than anyone and is the mother to his kids, she is also heartbroken and cannot cope with this.

when the postmortem is completed, who will get the death cert, his dad or his partner.

any advice or help would be appriciated.

Unfrotuntaly she has hardly any rights at all. Being engaged is neighther here nor there.

Its sad, it stinks but sadly the next of kin has all the rights.

Best of luck to your friend and those kiddies too.

i dont think he made a will, none of us expected this, he was much loved and will be sadly missed for a long time to come. lets just hope his father plays nicely and realises what a mistake he is making before its too late.

Yes, it's sad- also a very strong recommendation for EVERYONE (married, unmarried, rich, poor- as long as aged 18+) to make a Will.

And, no- my firm does not deal with making Wills. This advice is wholly disinterested.

Archived