Why don't the unemployed start their own businesses?

Yes what a stupid thread.Self employment is not all its cracked up to be,you lose any benefits you are entitled to if you fail,you have a lot more worry during the peaks and troughs and if you are VAT registered you become an unpaid servant.There are certain tax advantages of course but you have to earn the money first and if you borrow from the bank you have to put security up on the loan then you are working for the bank.If you are certain that you have the business to sustain you then go for it BUT be very careful in todays climate.

Yes what a stupid thread.Self employment is not all its cracked up to be

That being so, why are so many people so envious - in some cases even hateful - of the ones who are running businesses?

If it's easy, get out there and do it. If it's not easy, stop complaining about the ones who were successful.

As much as I'd like to become the next Bill Gates, I don't have the capital.

A lot of people just aren't ruthless enough. Yes in an ideal world if you are a genius inventor or have some great ideas you can make a success of yourself, but in realisty you end up having to screw people over and very few people want to be that much of an arse in order to get ahead.

It's a shame that we reward these attributes rather than the kind and compassionate.

I will be starting my own business, but it will be a niche business playing on my knowledge and skillset (which I am still aquiring). I just want enough to be comfortable and do something I love.

However until the funding is there from the banks or my own savings that I can spend a year building up a reputation without financial worry I'm not going to start.

The whole idea that you can 'just start up a business' is rediculous. You'd be better off planning and doing it well rather than throwing money down the drain.

It is incredibly hard to start a business up from scratch.

The biggest problem is how you fund the business, and lets not forget we have just had christmas. Many businesses, myself included have not operated for 2-3 weeks, yet the bills keep going out of the bank account.

In my own case, the logistics of operating in rented rooms, as opposed to being a freelance trainer in a gym were far harder than I expected, and I would imagine this would be the case for other types of businesses. A Plumber working for a company, if he attempted to go it alone would encounter problems that he wouldn't if he remained employed.

AS mentioned before, funding is the big problem for a new start up. PErhaps the best way to get round this, is to start to fund a small business while you are still in employment?

A Sheffielder I know started his business from his back bedroom in 1981, he has grown it slowly so that now he employs over 700 people. He prides himself on not having made anyone redundant in all that time.

I know him socially, he is a private man but very good company when you get to know him. Employees of his tell me he is fair but firm, you know where you stand.

His personal style is low key, a nice car but not flash. He has lived in the same house for 30years. Kids went to comp and then to university.

To my mnd he is the perfect entrepanuer, a man who sees profit as a means to build his business and reward his employees, not to enrich himself at the expense of others. Also brave enough to go self employed, no reliance on state handouts, no boring 9 to 5 public sector non job. A self made man. I admire him. So should you.

Archived