Why don't the unemployed start their own businesses?

You are right. The government makes it more attractive for some people to live on hand outs than to start a business, because succeeding in business means much of what you earn is taken to pay the benefits for those who didn't. This is why many of our entrepreneurs have taken their ideas and enterprise abroad.

So, tell me who has taken their business and ideas abroad? I trust you have a nice list waiting :)

That being so, why are so many people so envious - in some cases even hateful - of the ones who are running businesses?

If it's easy, get out there and do it. If it's not easy, stop complaining about the ones who were successful.

I went out there and did it very successfully for 26yrs,I did not find people to be envious in fact my boss at the time offered help which I politely refused,I wanted to stand or fall on my own.I sold my most treasured possession to fund this venture finding out a month later that was a mistake,I had so much work that I did not need the capitol.I never borrowed from anyone and never wasted money on advertising.Unless you advertise in a big way you are wasting resources these can be used elseware in equipment and tooling.Eighty five per cent of my work was repeat business from long standing costumers.I eventually sold the business to retire after 50yrs of hard graft and I still had a lot of my original customers.But that was then and this is now,times are a lot different now.

I've been temping for a company for 7 months and the temp budget has been severely reduced. My boss wants to go self employed so he can pay me direct, instead of the temping agency taking a huge chunk of it.

I know that a number of people have been offering sales/admin etc skills directly to companies. Not sure it is for me, though. ??

A Sheffielder I know started his business from his back bedroom in 1981, he has grown it slowly so that now he employs over 700 people. He prides himself on not having made anyone redundant in all that time.

I know him socially, he is a private man but very good company when you get to know him. Employees of his tell me he is fair but firm, you know where you stand.

His personal style is low key, a nice car but not flash. He has lived in the same house for 30years. Kids went to comp and then to university.

To my mnd he is the perfect entrepanuer, a man who sees profit as a means to build his business and reward his employees, not to enrich himself at the expense of others. Also brave enough to go self employed, no reliance on state handouts, no boring 9 to 5 public sector non job. A self made man. I admire him. So should you.

I must say I agree with your sentiments.The mistake is to start with the focus on income when it should be on the provision of an excellent service.By focusing on the latter the wise entrepreneur will become rich in monetary terms and in satisfaction gained.

So, tell me who has taken their business and ideas abroad? I trust you have a nice list waiting :)

Well surely it didn't even escape you that Dyson now manufacture all its products overseas, as do M&S and many other leading stores.

Aardman and much of the animation industry has quit the UK in the last 2 years along with pharmaceutical manufactures ansd financial institutions.

Even BRIT INSURANCE is now based in the Netherlands.

You should perhaps read this.

http://www.foroffshore.com/news/BigBusinessesConsiderOffshore.html

If anyone wants to ask some questions about e-commerce or such like then fire me a PM. Consultancy isn't what I do so i'll be happy to help.

The way I always approach thinking about small business without any funding is to look at crafts that can be sold. Paint a picture, carve a stick, make t-shirts, make buns, jam, flapjack... body lotion,,, etc... Some may gripe and say "theres more involved than you know", but if you go on line (oh you are already, right now in fact!) you can find what preservatives are required (often it's just things like lemon juice or salt) and the regulatory stuff is always available on the .gov sites. It's all there if you look...

There is a concept of dropshipping.

What about asking a few sandwich shops if you can deliver for them, then go around local businesses and get a few clients and build up from there.

The world is your oyster and you don't (always) need lot's of money to start.

For further help there is a business section here on SF

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I believe Indizine is the mod and she works (old data (if wrong tell me and i'll amend)) at a Chamber of Commerce, and she knows her stuff and is very helpful.

Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Well surely it didn't even escape you that Dyson now manufacture all its products overseas, as do M&S and many other leading stores.

Aardman and much of the animation industry has quit the UK in the last 2 years along with pharmaceutical manufactures ansd financial institutions.

Even BRIT INSURANCE is now based in the Netherlands.

You should perhaps read this.

http://www.foroffshore.com/news/BigBusinessesConsiderOffshore.html

Dyson's head quarters are still in the UK :suspect:

With 2.6 million out of work why don't the unemployed start their own businesses? How hard can it be?

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what businesses they could do? Unless they can come up with an idea that no one has done before or provide services or goods cheaper and better than those businesses already established then its very hard.

With the amount of unemployed there is and considering well over half are young how many new business jobs do you thing would be created?

Archived