Why don't the unemployed start their own businesses?

You need to be very careful getting into that sort of deal. Simply saying you are self-employed does not make you self-employed. If you hunt around there are a number of threads about this. Deals such as this are quite easy for the HMRC to find and prosecute and the consequences, particularly for the employer are expensive.

What he said ^^^^

Employment status.

To start your own business you need to know how to do something, ideally better than most other people.

A large proportion of the unemployed have either, never had a job, thus don't have the skill to do anything that anybody would pay them to do, or have worked in a place that hadn't required skilled work, i.e..in a shop.

And seeing as most businesses would require you to have a skill, and be better at something than your customer, starting one isn't the best option for many, and probably most people, if you don't have a skill.

I've seen a number of 'bucket & sponge' car washes on my trips to Sheffield.

Are the operators of these enterprises really more skilled at washing cars than other people?

Or are they just determined to get up off their arses and make their own way in life?

Are the operators of these enterprises really more skilled at washing cars than other people?

Or are they just determined to get up off their arses and make their own way in life?

See that's quite the salient point though isn't it?

If there's 'a number' of them already in business, it probably wouldn't make it very viable for many more people to take that route as their market share would be minimal.

And that goes for quite a few unskilled jobs, window cleaning, car washing; you can only have so many.

If the barriers to entry to a job are high, there will be few practitioners and they will command high prices. If the barriers to entry are low, there will be many practitioners and the amount of money they will earn is likely to be low.

BUT

How long have those bucket & sponge car washes been in existence?

What were the unemployed people in Sheffield doing before they came into existence?

Were they (or some of them) just sitting around waiting for somebody to give them a job?

No doubt nowadays a number of them are still sitting around waiting for a job - and complaining about 'all those immigrants who took the job I could have done.'

A number of people have complained that 'I can't be self-employed because I don't have the capital.' It didn't stop the bucket & sponge car washers from being self-employed, though, did it?

How many posts have you seen on this forum asking for cleaners? - Not a particularly well-paid job, perhaps, but it doesn't require a lot of start-up capital and it seems there is a demand.

If you can come up with an idea for a job which will make you very rich, then you are extremely lucky - and you're probably a member of a tiny minority.

It's more likely that you will find that you have to work very hard to get customers, then work very hard to earn even a modest living. But many people do manage to make a living and they probably get a bit more than they would on the dole.

Self Employment is the hardest job in the world to quote Paul Whitehouse.

It is 24 hour 365 days a year, at first.

No sitting on internet chat forums for a start.

The hardest is finding the work in the first place.

Doing the work is easy.

I'm all in favour of businesses moving to the workers instead of moving the workers to the business. If the UK as no one wanting to work in a factory but Poland has thousands ready and waiting to do the work, I think it makes more sense to move the factory to Poland. I know some from Latvia and that is what they expected when they joined the EU but instead the Latvians ended up moving to the work.

Fine then, move the stinking market over there and forbid the company to trade with the UK in any means what-so-ever. Strip the owners/manager of their British nationality (if they are anyway) and forbid them to ever set foot in the UK again, in fact if they want to see their rotten family, send them out too ... what comes around goes around.

Not really. Then start something else. Do you have a computer and an internet? Obviously you do - then you only need one other thing - your imagination. Thats the only tool you need.

Oh yes! The internet! No one ever lost money starting an Internet Company did they?!

Oh wait....

Hand Carwashes need premises, hot and cold water, and usually have at least 10 people working there at any time - all of whom are on very low wages. They have a reputation for employing people on less that legal terms - one even goes out of its way to advertise that it is '100% Legal' - clearly playing on the fact that others are not.

I wouldn't fancy your chances of setting one up on someone else's 'patch'.

Fine then, move the stinking market over there and forbid the company to trade with the UK in any means what-so-ever. Strip the owners/manager of their British nationality (if they are anyway) and forbid them to ever set foot in the UK again, in fact if they want to see their rotten family, send them out too ... what comes around goes around.

:huh:

Do you feel better now?

Archived