How old should somebody on the dole be, before they can live in a 1bed flat

How old for a Brit to be allowed privacy in the form of a 1 bed flat?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How old for a Brit to be allowed privacy in the form of a 1 bed flat?

• Under 16
    • 16-18
    • 18-21
    • 21-25
    • 25-35
    • 35-40
    • 40-45
    • 45-50
    • 50-retirement age
    • When they reach retirement age
    • When they reach 100.
    • Never.
    • Other.

Only very recently and back in the days of Victorian slums.

Anyhow, it gets to a point where the dole (via housing benefit) is the market. So even the workers are priced out.

Many many working people have to rely on housing benefit nowadays.

So what if it was recent? It isn't a problem

Price is irrelevant in the UK, there is no freemarket. The state decides.

Regardless of whether there is a free market or not, if you can afford it you can have it.

The Government have decided that if you're single without children and under 35 they won't pay for someone to have a flat to themselves. People in receipt of benefits can of course make up the difference themselves if they wish.

The Governemnt have cottoned on to the fact that the welfare state should supply what is NEEDED not necessarily what the person WANTS.

If you want you're own flat get a job and pay your own rent. Why should tax payers fund stand alone accommodation for young single people who are out of work when people in work can only afford to share?

You get your own room for privacy what more do you want?

Regardless of whether there is a free market or not, if you can afford it you can have it.

The Government have decided that if you're single without children and under 35 they won't pay for someone to have a flat to themselves. People in receipt of benefits can of course make up the difference themselves if they wish.

The Governemnt have cottoned on to the fact that the welfare state should supply what is NEEDED not necessarily what the person WANTS.

If you want you're own flat get a job and pay your own rent. Why should tax payers fund stand alone accommodation for young single people who are out of work when people in work can only afford to share?

You get your own room for privacy what more do you want?

Thing is, I'll be 36 in April, and I've done the whole sharing thing back when I was in my late teens when I was a student, it was hell on Earth, couldn't get in the Bathroom in a morning, couldn't watch what you want on the telly..

Thing is, I'll be 36 in April, and I've done the whole sharing thing back when I was in my late teens when I was a student, it was hell on Earth, couldn't get in the Bathroom in a morning, couldn't watch what you want on the telly..

Those who are disabled (such as yourself) are exempt from the new rules and will still be able to claim the amount for a 1-bed flat.

Most people I shared with had their own telly in their room.

Note: a minor (= someone aged under 18 ) cannot hold a tenancy or, indeed, and legal estate.

I often wondered about this. Can a contract be enforced by the courts on someone under 18? Tenancy agreements would be worthless on some of the young girls (under 18's) who live close to us. Would the agreement become valid once they reach 18 even if they signed it when 16/17?

I can appreciate they don't have life experience and won't have developed the social skills needed to be a decent neighbour but they give nice, modern, two bedroom houses to these young mums and it seems always to end badly and the authority does little about it.

Only very recently and back in the days of Victorian slums.

Not necessarily. "Lodging" has always been popular, and these days home-owners are taking advantage of it by making sure the lodging room has en-suite and lots of privacy. Quite a few people who advertise on spareroom are looking for someone to mind the home while they work away.

Its certainly not the bedsit squalor you might be trying to portray.

I didnt fully realise the ramifications of these cuts for everybody untill now (thanks chemist1). But mate it won't lead to cheaper housing, because the cuts are only effecting private rents and not council, and private rents are dictated by private mortgages.

Basically it is going to effect private landlords, as people are going to move out in there droves to find cheaper accomodation. landlords may have to reduce rent to keep the property occupied, but they lose out.

And it is going to effect people having there rates cut. What about people who have a disability? (well it is going to effect you, unless you are severely disabled).

Depressed? well you are going to have to live in shared accomodation mate. Never mind getting better and joining the workforce again.

Happily paying rent to private landlord? well, get on your bike and look for cheaper accomodation.

The upper limit of £250 is not realistic in todays market, even for shared accomodation. And the govt. have already openly admitted the job market is on its knees (was it 1 job for every 9 graduates I forget?)

So why punish this age group (up to 35)??

This is complete and utter madness from the govt. It makes no economic sense at all.

I would expect riots and complete meltdown in the coming months. Time to get out of the UK??

Archived