How old should somebody on the dole be, before they can live in a 1bed flat

How old for a Brit to be allowed privacy in the form of a 1 bed flat?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How old for a Brit to be allowed privacy in the form of a 1 bed flat?

• Under 16
    • 16-18
    • 18-21
    • 21-25
    • 25-35
    • 35-40
    • 40-45
    • 45-50
    • 50-retirement age
    • When they reach retirement age
    • When they reach 100.
    • Never.
    • Other.

I didnt fully realise the ramifications of these cuts for everybody untill now (thanks chemist1). But mate it won't lead to cheaper housing, because the cuts are only effecting private rents and not council, and private rents are dictated by private mortgages.

Basically it is going to effect private landlords, as people are going to move out in there droves to find cheaper accomodation. landlords may have to reduce rent to keep the property occupied, but they lose out.

And it is going to effect people having there rates cut. What about people who have a disability? (well it is going to effect you, unless you are severely disabled).

Depressed? well you are going to have to live in shared accomodation mate. Never mind getting better and joining the workforce again.

Happily paying rent to private landlord? well, get on your bike and look for cheaper accomodation.

The upper limit of £250 is not realistic in todays market, even for shared accomodation. And the govt. have already openly admitted the job market is on its knees (was it 1 job for every 9 graduates I forget?)

So why punish this age group (up to 35)??

This is complete and utter madness from the govt. It makes no economic sense at all.

I would expect riots and complete meltdown in the coming months. Time to get out of the UK??

My bold.

Chem1st believes that this, people moving out in droves, and looking for somewhere cheaper, will force private landlords to bring their rates down, and possibly they will, but probably not.

I often wondered about this. Can a contract be enforced by the courts on someone under 18? Tenancy agreements would be worthless on some of the young girls (under 18's) who live close to us. Would the agreement become valid once they reach 18 even if they signed it when 16/17?

I can appreciate they don't have life experience and won't have developed the social skills needed to be a decent neighbour but they give nice, modern, two bedroom houses to these young mums and it seems always to end badly and the authority does little about it.

It's a bit complex!

1. A minor cannot own a legal estate. Here's s.1(6) of the Law of Property Act 1925, with my underlining (in which the word used- 'infant'- means anyone aged under 18 ):

A legal estate is not capable of subsisting or of being created in an undivided share in land or of being held by an infant.

2. A minor can have an equitable interest (i.e. under a Trust Deed).

3. A contract into which a minor enters, other than re a legal estate (inc. tenancy) is legally enforceable if it's for 'necessaries'.

4. As to the perils of trying to let to a minor, see the cautionary tale of Alexander-David v. Hammersmith & Fulham LBC http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/259.html

5. But a minor probably has few/no assets- so who'd sue anyway?

My bold.

Chem1st believes that this, people moving out in droves, and looking for somewhere cheaper, will force private landlords to bring their rates down, and possibly they will, but probably not.

It will more likely damage both parties Leah.

Landlords bring rents down a bit to keep places occupied and people renting have a significant shortfall in rent.

Either way everybody in this equation faces a drop in living standards. Not just so called 'dole scroungers'.

The biggest problem I can see is this £250 p/month rent cap. For 1 bedroom private rents its not realistic, for shared houses these days it must be tough to find decent accomodation at or around that figure.

I can remember I was paying £300 when I was a student, nearly a decade ago!

Government cuts have now come in.

If your under 35 (childless) and on the dole you'll only get enough local housing allowance to live in a room in a private sector shared house (HoMO -House of Multiple Occupancy).

You may find that these cuts lead to cheaper housing as rents fall due to a lack of housing benefit pumping them up. And the transition from benefits back to works begins to make economical sense, not to mention benefitting hard pressed workers in the form of lower rent.

Anyhow, hold old should somebody be, before we allow them self contained 1 bed flats, privacy if you like?

Do you mean allow or guarantee.

I suppose allow shouldn't have any age on it, but guarantee should be never.

My bold.

It may force some, but some cannot afford to cut rent (are our mortgages going to come down too?).

Either way it either effects tennants or landlords or both.

Why are we penalising the under 35's in this way is my beef? its hard enough actually getting a decent paid job for most young people let alone worrying about being homeless or destitute.

If anyone wants to organise a protest, sign me up.

It's a bit complex!

1. A minor cannot own a legal estate. Here's s.1(6) of the Law of Property Act 1925, with my underlining (in which the word used- 'infant'- means anyone aged under 18 ):

A legal estate is not capable of subsisting or of being created in an undivided share in land or of being held by an infant.

2. A minor can have an equitable interest (i.e. under a Trust Deed).

3. A contract into which a minor enters, other than re a legal estate (inc. tenancy) is legally enforceable if it's for 'necessaries'.

4. As to the perils of trying to let to a minor, see the cautionary tale of Alexander-David v. Hammersmith & Fulham LBC http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/259.html

5. But a minor probably has few/no assets- so who'd sue anyway?

Ah that explains why the Housing would be reluctant to take things further when the problems don't end after the letters and warnings. Peril indeed :o

It may force some, but some cannot afford to cut rent (are our mortgages going to come down too?).

Either way it either effects tennants or landlords or both.

Why are we penalising the under 35's in this way is my beef? its hard enough actually getting a decent paid job for most young people let alone worrying about being homeless or destitute.

If anyone wants to organise a protest, sign me up.

Landlords are already benefiting from record low interest rates, and even then they manage to struggle, buy to let, combined with crazy mortgage lending and housing benefit forced prices up.

Landlords will go bust. Then maybe young people can afford to buy homes again, like their parents. Or perhaps new landlords will emerge and take advantage of the lower priced property.

I warned people of this about 15 months ago;

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=660417

My bold.

Do you want to pay more or less in rent?

Ask for a rent reduction, if it is not granted, move to somewhere cheaper, there are mechanisms in place which will allow people to force rents down. But only if they are prepared to take advantage of the mechanisms, the landlords took advantage on the way up.

Now is the time for tenants revenge.

If a landlord goes bust, unlucky for him, power to the renters.

Government cuts have now come in.

If your under 35 (childless) and on the dole you'll only get enough local housing allowance to live in a room in a private sector shared house (HoMO -House of Multiple Occupancy).

Anyhow, hold old should somebody be, before we allow them self contained 1 bed flats, privacy if you like?

Bare in mind this also affects workers who don't earn enough to cover their rent (and that workers actually claim more in benefits than the unemployed).

Age 65 unless they have some sort of disability or medical problem, in which case according to need. Sorry, not sure what your point is?

Archived