Local parish councils - what do they do?

Has anyone any idea as the functions of our local parish councils, i would be very interested in the functions of Ecclesfield parish council,which seems to object to everyhting except drawing breath,though im sure theyll get round to it.

are these people just the local snobs playing politics or do they actually serve a purpose

PARISH COUNCIL ISSUES

Parish Councillor Mr. A. Jepson raised the issues of (a) a shortage of litter bins in the High Green and Chapeltown areas and the need for a further clean-up of some of the streets in this area and (b) the provision of a direct bus service to the Sheffield Airport.

It was agreed that (i) Mr. J. Charlton would take up the issue regarding the shortage of litter bins and general clean-up of the High Green and Chapeltown areas with the Ecclesfield Parish Council and (ii) Councillor Trevor Bagshaw would raise the issue now reported regarding the provision of a direct bus service to the Sheffield Airport with the main bus operators.

hmmmmmmmmmm me ponders why they would want a direct bus service to the airport,not for plane spotting thats for sure.

maybe word got to them by carrier pidgeon that an airport was near by. sounds like they woke up to the 20th century just as we entered the 21st. its nice to hear hot topics of the day are debated on our behalf. mind you,wasnt it ecclesfield parish council that was slightly concerned about those metal bird things flying too low on approach to manchester, it wasnt the engine noises but the people making too much racket inside them

• 7 years later...

Just received my voting paper for Ecclesfield Parish Council elections, does anyone else think the council is a complete waste of money, the extra levy that we have to pay, to me is a complete waste of money. I believe all that it pays for is the mortgage on the council offices, an admin worker, councillors expenses, the christmas tree in Chapeltown and a few small handouts to some local ventures.

I don't think I am going to bother voting this time around.

Archived