How many more years have we got, until people are forced to work locally?

I'd be surprised if the vast vast vast majority of people don't work in the same town they live in.

You've not been at the bottom of the m1 where it meets the m25 at 6am ! You'd be staggered of the amount of people London bound. No idea about the state of the trains but, what 15 years ago, it was standing room only from Chesterfield to sheffield at rush hour and it can only get worse. I think those on lower wages will work locally but go over say 30k and I'd wager the majority work away from their home town.

You've not been at the bottom of the m1 where it meets the m25 at 6am ! You'd be staggered of the amount of people London bound.

That, though, is because the number of jobs based in London simply could not be filled by people living locally.

To solve that problem you'd have to move the workplaces, not the people.

I am of course talking about the increase in cost, be it through bus fares, train fares, insurance costs, or even petrol costs.

I give it a maximum of about 3 years, then people will have no choice but to get a job in their local town

I have always thought that were ever possible people should work locally; there will definitely be people from Sheffield working in Doncaster doing the same job for the same pay as someone from Doncaster working in Sheffield. I think it should be compulsory for an employer to employer the closest suitable person for the job; this would cut rush hour congestion, save valuable resources, cut pollution and help the environment.

I am of course talking about the increase in cost, be it through bus fares, train fares, insurance costs, or even petrol costs.

I give it a maximum of about 3 years, then people will have no choice but to get a job in their local town

It's already happening, I live in the centre of Sheffield and up until recently used to work in North Nottinghamshire, myself and 2 other colleagues packed in their jobs only because the insurance and petrol costs made it unfeasible.

it makes sense to comute into london. I used to live in the midlands, it was an hour on the train into the centre. I know people who live in london and say it takes longer to get to work.

If you are getting london wages but not paying london prices for housing and shopping then you can be quids in.

I think it should be compulsory for an employer to employer the closest suitable person for the job; this would cut rush hour congestion, save valuable resources, cut pollution and help the environment.

That's nonsense! Yes it would, as you say save resources etc..... But, it just wouldn't work...Only be allowed to employ someone who's local???...So much for the classic Normal Tebbit idea of getting on your bikes!!!

That's nonsense! Yes it would, as you say save resources etc..... But, it just wouldn't work...Only be allowed to employ someone who's local???...So much for the classic Normal Tebbit idea of getting on your bikes!!!

You clearly didn't read what I wrote, I said the closest suitable person, so if after the interviews the employer short lists 5 candidates that they think are suitable for the job, at that point they would select the closest.

Archived