How many more years have we got, until people are forced to work locally?

Meh, I live in Sheffield but have worked in Rotherham for the last 3 and a bit years.

There are people in Sheffield who live next door to places in Rotherham. There are people who live in Sheffield who have an hours comute to jobs elsewhere in Sheffield.

There are people in Sheffield who live next door to places in Rotherham. There are people who live in Sheffield who have an hours comute to jobs elsewhere in Sheffield.

That's a fair point; you can't tell simply by looking at the given locations (unless you have exact addresses) whether someone is working "locally" or not. (I live in Sheffield; I am nearer to both Rotherham and Chesterfield centres than I am to Sheffield centre!)

But that can be taken into account, and doesn't alter the overall arguments either for or against.

... I think it should be compulsory for an employer to employer the closest suitable person for the job; this would cut rush hour congestion, save valuable resources, cut pollution and help the environment.

Alternatively, of course, the employer could say to the preferred candidate: "If you want the job, you have to move to the local area."

I am of course talking about the increase in cost, be it through bus fares, train fares, insurance costs, or even petrol costs.

I give it a maximum of about 3 years, then people will have no choice but to get a job in their local town

Or move to where the jobs are.

Alternatively, of course, the employer could say to the preferred candidate: "If you want the job, you have to move to the local area."

That’s a reasonable option providing the local area can cope with an influx of new people.

Train fares have gone up above inflation today, and bus fares have gone up yet again too. So that's trains, fags, beer, social rents all going up above inflation this year.

Yet train fares seem to me to offer a lot better value for money, at least for the local journeys than the buses do.

Dore station to town for example, a cheaper journey on the train and about 5 times quicker than the bus.

Sheffield to Rotherham/Barnsley, again cheaper and quicker by train than by bus.

Hell, if you worked in Sheffield centre, it would make more sense to live in Barnsley or Rotherham centre and commute by train rather than living in a Sheffield suburb and commuting by bus!

Train fares have gone up above inflation today, and bus fares have gone up yet again too. So that's trains, fags, beer, social rents all going up above inflation this year.

Yet train fares seem to me to offer a lot better value for money, at least for the local journeys than the buses do.

Dore station to town for example, a cheaper journey on the train and about 5 times quicker than the bus.

Sheffield to Rotherham/Barnsley, again cheaper and quicker by train than by bus.

Hell, if you worked in Sheffield centre, it would make more sense to live in Barnsley or Rotherham centre and commute by train rather than living in a Sheffield suburb and commuting by bus!

I've always thought this, if your work was near sheffield station it would be quicker to train in than it would be to walk or bus from my house, and would probably be cheaper housing.

I doubt that there are many employers who would set up a large company/factory in an area without considering whether there was adequate housing available for their employees.

If you apply for a particular job - and there is only one position offered - then you hardly constitute an 'influx of new people'.

I lived near Heidelberg for some years. SAP AG in Walldorf expanded considerably. The new employees couldn't be accommodated in Walldorf (there were some thousands of them) but the towns and villages in the local area each expanded. A new road was built (a bypass) and public transport was laid on. I doubt that many of the employees live more than 10-15 miles away (indeed, most of them probably live a lot nearer than that.)

At one time (for a very short time, thank God!) I had to commute daily from Ely to Central London. I had to catch a train at 0630 and I didn't get back home until 2030. That got old very quickly. I thought I had an unpleasant journey, but I found there were people on that train who had got on an hour earlier and who had 2 hours more travelling each day than I did. Some of them had been doing the journey for years.

IMO, that's not 'life', it's an existence. As I said on another thread, I've moved house many times. Not because I didn't like the place in which I lived, but because it was (IMO - or in that of my employer -) impracticable to commute daily.

You (or rather I) go where the jobs are.

The lack of of affordable housing and absurd housing benefit system (combined with the cost of travel and various other parts of the so called 'social safety net') has priced people out of work to such an extent that it would actually cost them to go out to work.

Only with affordable housing can this country prosper.

Be that by lowering housing costs directly, or keeping them constant whilst wages rise.

Inflation is the tactic to be used and that shall also solve the debt crisis. Not a nice time to be a frugal 'saver'.

Archived