How many more years have we got, until people are forced to work locally?

I'd love to work more locally than I do, and I hope one day to do that! I did try, when I changed career to stay working in Sheffield, but didn't get the job and there hasn't been another come up since.

There won't be any in the near future due to cutbacks (and hence people at risk of losing their jobs being given first dibs at any that come up).

My life outside of work is all in Sheffield, so do I move to the town I work in and have to travel here every evening/weekend instead? I have to drive for my job, much as I dislike it, so I'll stick with things as they are.

Roll on the time when I can cycle to work again :D

The lack of of affordable housing and absurd housing benefit system (combined with the cost of travel and various other parts of the so called 'social safety net') has priced people out of work to such an extent that it would actually cost them to go out to work.

Only with affordable housing can this country prosper.

Be that by lowering housing costs directly, or keeping them constant whilst wages rise.

Inflation is the tactic to be used and that shall also solve the debt crisis. Not a nice time to be a frugal 'saver'.

What is 'affordable' housing? Surely what you can afford depends on how much money you've got?

What's the breakdown of housebuilding costs? How much for land, how much for materials, how much for labour and how much profit?

If house building costs are to be frozen and should materials costs rise, are you going to make the workers take a pay cut? - If you do, their wages certainly won't rise.

If you want to cut out the developer costs, why don't people get together and build their own houses?

If inflation could solve the debt crisis, why not print loads of money and write off the debt that way?

Others (outside the UK) might place a lower value on (devalue) your money, so imports would cost more and a loaf of bread might cost £200, but that would be OK ... or would it?

'The pound in your pocket would still be a pound'.

The price of wheelbarrows would soar. You'd need one to take your pay home.

What is 'affordable' housing? Surely what you can afford depends on how much money you've got?

It's a good question and a thread in itself, it is often quoted as less than 30% of income. So assuming 37.5 hours and minimum wage, then not exceeding £30(apprentice nmw) or £60 (adult nmw) per week.

Hope you are declaring it :hihi:

2 things:

1: Trolling is SO 2011.

2: It's voluntary, IE I work for free, no money changes hands, therefore I do not need to inform the Job Centre.

Do you see?

If inflation could solve the debt crisis, why not print loads of money and write off the debt that way?

That's what they seem to be doing, albeit not in one go.

Others (outside the UK) might place a lower value on (devalue) your money, so imports would cost more and a loaf of bread might cost £200, but that would be OK ... or would it?
External inflation is a bit of a devil at the moment.

'The pound in your pocket would still be a pound'.
Aye, once upon a time £1 got you 1lb of silver, it buys less and less each year now.

The price of wheelbarrows would soar. You'd need one to take your pay home.

Lots of electronic money now, and they add 0s on the end of the notes first. This time next year we'll be millionaires :hihi:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15596596

And as the copper left circulation, so shall the nickel.

Magnetic coinage it is! They call it a steel steal.

2 things:

1: Trolling is SO 2011.

2: It's voluntary, IE I work for free, no money changes hands, therefore I do not need to inform the Job Centre.

Do you see?

1. So ?

2. Ask them about "notional earnings"...yes, you DO have to declare it.

I did voluntary work last year, didnt say anything to the job centre, they found out about it and I ended up with a bill for nearly £3000.

For a job that I was a VOLUNTEER for !

Do YOU see ?

1. So ?

2. Ask them about "notional earnings"...yes, you DO have to declare it.

I did voluntary work last year, didnt say anything to the job centre, they found out about it and I ended up with a bill for nearly £3000.

For a job that I was a VOLUNTEER for !

Do YOU see ?

Meh, I've been working for over 3 years in my current job, the JC don't care, and even if they did they wouldn't know what to do about it so yeh.

Archived