Private tuition for daughter

Not true. Schools were in the business of providing one to one tuition, then the budget was cut by the Coalition. Evidence here. I like evidence, it is so much better than hyperbole and prejudice:wink:

There is no loony system of new methods. Admittedly, things have moved on since the 1950's, but to claim that Literacy and Numeracy teaching in Primary Schools is "loony" betrays a lack of understanding on your behalf. Can you be more specific about the "loony" aspects of Maths teaching? Or English teaching?

Oh dear. I think you'll find that one to one tuition for all was a bit of political hype. It would never have happened no matter who was in charge. If anyone knows different I would like to hear about it.

As for new Maths teaching methods, they sit alongside the old ones but are very much to do with mental calculations rather than pencil and paper methods.

There is still no substitute for kids knowing their times tables as far as I know,

learning their spellings and reading, reading, reading. If all parents would just do these with their children (and schools will be happy to suggest ways of making it fun,) they would go a long way towards helping their children to do well.

Is a tutor really needed for an 8 year old? I would have thought 8 year old English and Maths would be something a parent could help with?

What do you know about the OP, or their 8 year old?

Refute means disprove. I think you mean reject or repudiate. I will not charge for this private tuition.

... perhaps this is why they want extra tuition for their child, and they have the funds to change something? or perhaps not. The OP didn't tell us their qualifications, or English capabilities. Neither are relevant to the opening question anyway.

Hang on, have I missed something here? Nowhere have you been called a bad parent, stop being so melodramatic. I would agree with the guy that said that at 8 years old, most parents should be able to help their kids with homework.

Maybe they aren't most?

Therefore I would consider paying someone to tutor an 8 year old a waste of money

Who gives a toss what you consider to be a waste of money? What the OP spends their money on is nothing to do with you. If they want their child to have extra tuition for their child, and they can afford it(as we can infer from the opening post), then they can do as they please.

If a parent can't help an 8 year old with their homework, then they aren't bad parents they are just thick.

Utter rubbish. If they have the ability to pay for extra tuition, and they think it will be beneficial, then they would be perhaps thick if they didn't look into this option.

Thick people aren't bad people and they should be allowed to breed and raise children just like the rest of us. If you are thick op (I am not saying you are, I have never met you so couldn't possibly judge) then good on you for recognising your weaknesses.

Not even worth posting at. If you sam have the funds to make the best for your own children and you don't look into things, then it's you that is 'thick'.

Oh dear. I think you'll find that one to one tuition for all was a bit of political hype. It would never have happened no matter who was in charge. If anyone knows different I would like to hear about it.

One to one tuition did happen throughout schools in England. I delivered a fair amount of it. Schools were given money that was ringfenced for 1to1. The current government removed the funding. Read up on its success, children commonly made significant and quantifiable progress through just 10 hours of 1 to 1. It really allows a teacher to address a child's understanding in specific areas, in a way whole class teaching does not allow!

It did happen. It was funded. It worked, very well as far as I could see.

There is still no substitute for kids knowing their times tables as far as I know,

learning their spellings and reading, reading, reading. If all parents would just do these with their children (and schools will be happy to suggest ways of making it fun,) they would go a long way towards helping their children to do well.

Now, that I agree with totally.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

You are not poor parents for wanting to help your daughter, personally I think it is very supportive and refreshing to see. Have you thought about KUMON, I have friends with children who have found it amazing as a "catch up" and it has very good reviews. It's not cheap, but the methods they use are something you could also get involved with. They do do 2 and 3 week free trials. I am considering it for my 10 yr old. Good Luck !!

I'll second the Kumon route. My youngest son struggled big time with his Maths and at age 10 went to "Kumon" locally. It's based upon repetition learning and numerical relations and worked wonders with his Maths. He's now studying at Leeds Uni. ALSO, it is said that learning music, be it piano, guitar whatever and the theory behind it also helps greatly with numeracy. .....BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LET YOUR KIDS LOOSE WITH A RECORDER !!!:hihi:

Archived