Champs. What's The Food Like?

verona

Gosh has it been open 15 years?

I last went in about 2 years ago. I took my young kids for the burger and skins and stuff. What can I say? It was ok. About on a par with TGI Friday's or something like that. Starters were better than the mains. The kids liked it - it was a bit of a treat for them - I wouldn't exactly rave about it. I thought the burgers were pretty poor really. I'm comparing versus what you used to get, (don't know if you still do) at places like Uncle Sam's and Yankees. Those burgers were big and made of 100% beef. The one's in Champs weren't - they were like Birds Eye or summat similar. Shame really.

But it sells decent beer!

Theyre burgers are better than the pile of poo served to you at Yankees or Uncle Sams. Champs is closer to American food or bar snacks than those places are.

The burgers are okay but I consider myself a burger snob (not filled with onions, breadcrumbs, or random seasoning to hide the poor quality of the meat served) and the starters are yum (try the blooming onion) Outside of making my own hamburgers, Champs is the only one I'll eat if we go out for dinner.

I wouldnt go in with a large group though.. Service isnt the fastest, but they are responsive... Haven't been in about a year, but Ive never had a bad meal in there.

Theyre burgers are better than the pile of poo served to you at Yankees or Uncle Sams. Champs is closer to American food or bar snacks than those places are.

The burgers are okay but I consider myself a burger snob (not filled with onions, breadcrumbs, or random seasoning to hide the poor quality of the meat served) and the starters are yum (try the blooming onion) Outside of making my own hamburgers, Champs is the only one I'll eat if we go out for dinner.

I wouldnt go in with a large group though.. Service isnt the fastest, but they are responsive... Haven't been in about a year, but Ive never had a bad meal in there.

Yankees and Uncle Sams used to be good, but I'm talking 15 years ago now, maybe more. So I can't comment on them now. They used to be hand made on the premises with 100% beef and were about 8oz in size. It sounds like that's no longer the case then? In which case, fair enough.

But I can comment on the Champs burger and, as I said, it was maybe a 4oz thin thing that was very similar to what you'd get if you bought Birds Eye frozen ones. That's not my idea of a good burger.

The only other place that I'd suggest for a good burger, that I've been to recently, is the Home Made Burger company in Meadowhall. Their burgers are 100% beef, made on the premises. Good choice of toppings - and you can add or delete whatever you want - and - they do proper chips as well.

Yankees and Uncle Sams used to be good, but I'm talking 15 years ago now, maybe more. So I can't comment on them now. They used to be hand made on the premises with 100% beef and were about 8oz in size. It sounds like that's no longer the case then? In which case, fair enough.

But I can comment on the Champs burger and, as I said, it was maybe a 4oz thin thing that was very similar to what you'd get if you bought Birds Eye frozen ones. That's not my idea of a good burger.

The only other place that I'd suggest for a good burger, that I've been to recently, is the Home Made Burger company in Meadowhall. Their burgers are 100% beef, made on the premises. Good choice of toppings - and you can add or delete whatever you want - and - they do proper chips as well.

Hmm , perhaps we went on an off day but I really didnt like the handmade burger place at MH...

First they wouldnt cook my burger pink in the middle (a sign that even if the burgers are made fresh , they do not trust their meat...) and then they burned my burger (and I went for the higher priced Jimmys farm one at the time). They did replace it by which time I had gone off the boil but didnt really like it.

Champs burgers have been pretty good the last few times for me - cooked pink and definitely freshly made...

I also enjoy Cricket Inn/ Relish burgers both of which are very good but sadly rather expensive ...

Did not enjoy SwankFranks at all... and Yankees/ Uncle Sams really should be put out of their misery as both trading on past glories.

This town is crying out for a decent burger fries and shakes place to sit in between maccy D's and the more expensive restaurants.

This is what we need - http://www.shakeshack.com/

Archived