When does XXXXX school start after the holidays?

Towards the end of every school holiday at least one thread (usually more) is started on SF which asks 'when does XXXXX school start after the holidays?'. The thread is usually started on the last day or two of the hols. Surely you'd expect the parents to find out further in advance?

To be fair to parents, the only indication of any school holiday dates I have, is a a5 sized calendar. It has term dates 2010/11 printed on one side, and 2011/12 on the other. It was given to me in September 2010 and is stuck on the fridge, and often falls off. It could easily end up in the bin or lost under the firdge. We got a little note to let us know the new bank holiday for the Royal wedding.

Of course, if you're not totally sure, you should find out a bit earlier, but some schools are confusing, as the official date of going back can be a staff training day or something, and parents don't know if all or some kids should go on that day.

Many schools send letters home and/or put a notice somewhere obvious each holiday, on top of making the little calendars available. Some parents don't see them for all sorts of reasons, but there are always some parents who read them. Some of our parents go through a door with a big sign on it telling them we're closed for a Training Day for a good few days before the actual day, but still turn up on the day in question.

I don't have any children in a school, but sometimes need to know what dates the school on my road is back, as it clogs up with traffic. If you don't have children at a school then it is quite difficult to find out the dates, so I might ask on here.

Good point.

Just an idea, but if you ask the school they'd probably send you that info (you can always get the standard term dates from the SCC website but they'd give you the Training Days' dates).

Archived