EBay sellers and postage

I'm normally quite up on the eBay rules and stuff, but this has me a little puzzled.

I've purchased 3 dresses (bridesmaid dresses) from a seller in China.

They are advertised as having 70% off, and so are only £6.99 and £4.99 each, with £3.99 P+P each.

Listing states that seller will take 20% P+P charge of per additional item.

So, I bought 3, and requested the total from the seller. The original P+P cost was £11.97. I got a combined invoice for £17.97. The seller says that because the dresses are on sale, and they forgot to change the postage costs (i.e, dress on sale, postage bumped up, no savings to customer) they have amended it to include the new costs and they hope I understand! They say they are within the rules to SLIGHTLY adjust the postage to account for any extra costs incurred. I'm sure I have read somewhere once before that this is ok if the customer agrees to them doing so.

The eBay online chat thingy seems to be down atm, and don't fancy ringing them. Any idea what to do? I'm pretty sure its not right for certain!

Shall I just ungroup the invoice, and pay for them individually, and pay only £11.97, or should I push for a combined invoice with 20% off, as the listing stated?

Pick up anything related to electronics, toys etc, in fact, most items, what does it say? made in China/Taiwan, can't get away from it!

On eBay, the majority of electronic and mobile phone items are purchased from eBay sellers in China (who then become email contacts, and give you further discounts), I used to buy iPhone cases for just 1p each, and could sell them all day for £4.99. I was a top rated seller with 8000 positive feedback until I gave up that branch of sales. If people think they buy from a UK seller and get any better quality, they kid themselves. The only thing you should make the exception for really is if you need the item quickly and the extra few quid outweighs the 2 week wait :)

Archived