Which school would you go to in the 40 if you lived at arbourthorne

rachhg

Hi . one school was Arbourthorne North on Cradock road off City road also known as Cradock road sch

That was Norfolk School. There was also Hurfield and Ashleigh school. I don't know if they all used the same names back in the late 40's.

Hi . one school was Arbourthorne North on Cradock road off City road also known as Cradock road sch

Arbourthorne North was on Craddock Rd . It opened it's doors in 1937 and continued using this name until 1954 . At that time the name changed to Norfolk School . Both schools are one and the same .

That was Norfolk School. There was also Hurfield and Ashleigh school. I don't know if they all used the same names back in the late 40's.

Ashleigh was the girls school IIRC, and Hurlfield boys school didn't open till the fifties, did it? IIRC

I STR that Ashleigh was a Technical School.

Thank you all for the response. This is my first time on here. My husband, Fred gibson lived on dagenham cresent and was born in 1934. We had been together 26yrs when i lost him in september. If anyone knew him and have any tales from back then, myself and our kids would be thrilled to hear. I do have a poor copy of his class in 1949 and would love a better one. Would also be happy to forward it on to see if your either on the photo or recognise anyone on it.

Thank you all for the response. This is my first time on here. My husband, Fred gibson lived on dagenham cresent and was born in 1934. We had been together 26yrs when i lost him in september. If anyone knew him and have any tales from back then, myself and our kids would be thrilled to hear. I do have a poor copy of his class in 1949 and would love a better one. Would also be happy to forward it on to see if your either on the photo or recognise anyone on it.

I went to Arbourthorne North 1946-52 but was younger than your Husband.

The school on Eastern avenue, Abourthorne central, had an Infant & Junior school but no senior school at that time, so when the pupils reached 12 most transferred to Arbourthorne north..

The Norfolk park estate was just fields back then.....

I went to Arbourthorne North 1946-52 but was younger than your Husband.

The school on Eastern avenue, Abourthorne central, had an Infant & Junior school but no senior school at that time, so when the pupils reached 12 most transferred to Arbourthorne north..

The Norfolk park estate was just fields back then.....

Do you remember the quadrangle that the classrooms were arranged round? And do you remember the headmistress - Miss Gagan. She seemed to be very old and was in a wheelchair, I think. Also the only male teacher - Mr Brown and a very stern but excellent J4 teacher called Miss Linacre, I think?

Archived