Do drivers stop at crossings anymore ?

Have you noticed that quite a number of drivers just don't stop at crossings anymore ?

Yes the car drivers are getting just as bad as the cyclists in Sheffield, they just wont drive to the rules of the Highway Code.

There's a whole heap of rules governing pedestrians also which they'd do well to study. Motoring skills have degraded somewhat but the stupidity of children and adults alike has also increased in popularity.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for complaining pedestrians as a large proportion of them also drive cars in a similar fashion. Practice what you preach n' all that.

Have you noticed that quite a number of drivers just don't stop at crossings anymore ?

I don’t get why someone walking up to a zebra crossing stops when they get there, and they don’t walk onto it the crossing until you have driven another 100 meter and stopped, if they just stepped onto it, they would be at the other side befor the car got to them and the driver would have no need to stop.

I take it you mean Zebra crossings?

Many a time there has been a person standing on the pavement/curb at a crossing and I have just continued driving, and our lass has had a go at me saying that there was someone at the crossing so I should have stopped, but I'm sure the highway code says you are only obliged to stop when a pedestrian is actualy on the crossing, not loitering on the pavement.

I always stop to let pedestrians cross.

Be it at a crossing or anywhere else i always stop to let them go by.

The amount of arshole drivers i get beeping me and flashing their lights because im considerate amazes me. Yesterday for exmaple, i let a family cross White lane. It took about 10 seconds to slow down and wait for them to see i was waiting for them but noooooooooooo, some idiot in a subaru started reving his engine and making angry faces every time he revved it like the accelerator peddle was attached to his pubes or something.

Then came to 2 tone horn.

The only thing missing was his medalion and hairy chest :lol:

I take it you mean Zebra crossings?

Many a time there has been a person standing on the pavement/curb at a crossing and I have just continued driving, and our lass has had a go at me saying that there was someone at the crossing so I should have stopped, but I'm sure the highway code says you are only obliged to stop when a pedestrian is actualy on the crossing, not loitering on the pavement.

It used to but now it says if they are waiting you should also stop, it worked better the other way, I just walk onto the crossing and drivers just have to slow down a little instead of stop.

It used to but now it says if they are waiting you should also stop, it worked better the other way, I just walk onto the crossing and drivers just have to slow down a little instead of stop.

From the Government online HC

"19

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

Is the online one out of date?

Archived