Do drivers stop at crossings anymore ?

Not if they're not "cranked" - i.e. the pedestrians don't have to make a 90 degree turn.

The Highway Code (and the law) is unambiguous about this.

It certainly is..

"20

Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road – it is a separate crossing."

From here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070108

It used to but now it says if they are waiting you should also stop, it worked better the other way, I just walk onto the crossing and drivers just have to slow down a little instead of stop.
From the Government online HC

"19

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

Is the online one out of date?

Very useful, but that's the instructions to pedestrians you've copied there. Here's the ones for drivers:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070339

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

- look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

- you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

- allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads

- do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching

- be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing

Slightly contradictory, but sensibly so, putting the onus of responsibility on both parties simultaneously. Personally I always try to be observant at crossings, both as a pedestrian and a driver. As a driver I always slow down if there is somebody who looks like they might want to cross.

Very useful, but that's the instructions to pedestrians you've copied there. Here's the ones for drivers:

- look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

- do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching

Slightly contradictory, but sensibly so, putting the onus of responsibility on both parties simultaneously. Personally I always try to be observant at crossings, both as a pedestrian and a driver. As a driver I always slow down if there is somebody who looks like they might want to cross.

I don't think it's contadictory.. It only says you must give way when someone is actually on the crossing..but as you say the onus really is on both parties to be sensible..ie a driver to be ready to stop and a pedestrian to give a driver a chance of stopping before stepping out..

Unless it's a busy high street as once you stop the whole world and it's grandma want to.

I always stop to let pedestrians cross.

Be it at a crossing or anywhere else i always stop to let them go by.

Sorry, are you saying that you just pull up at random in order to let people cross the road.

You're clearly in the wrong if you're doing that.

From the Government online HC

"19

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

Is the online one out of date?

The combination of the section in red and the bold section mean that crossings wouldn't work (if followed literally). Cars don't have to stop unless you're on the crossing and you shouldn't be on the crossing unless cars have all stopped! Not very logical.

The combination of the section in red and the bold section mean that crossings wouldn't work (if followed literally). Cars don't have to stop unless you're on the crossing and you shouldn't be on the crossing unless cars have all stopped! Not very logical.

It's the highway code..what do you expect..? :)

I don't think it's contadictory.. It only says you must give way when someone is actually on the crossing..but as you say the onus really is on both parties to be sensible..ie a driver to be ready to stop and a pedestrian to give a driver a chance of stopping before stepping out..

I think it is, but sensibly so.

On the one hand it's warning pedestrians that drivers only have to stop when you're on the crossing, and on the other it's telling drivers that you should let pedestrians cross.

The grey area of responsibility is wide to make things safer.

I think that Mr Smith was correct that the Highway Code once had a firm line of responsibility, in that the instruction to car drivers was to give way to pedestrians on the zebra crossing, but this was sensibly changed.

Archived