Do drivers stop at crossings anymore ?

Unless it's a busy high street as once you stop the whole world and it's grandma want to.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere like that nowadays tbh, since a singnal operated crossing would be used on busy streets. Suggestions anyone?

There might be some outside places that get very busy after an event has just finished ... and on these rare occasions a pragmatic, sensible and safe approach should be taken by all.

But it years since I can recall being caught in a zebra crossing pedestrian frenzy. :hihi:

I'm struggling to think of anywhere like that nowadays tbh, since a singnal operated crossing would be used on busy streets. Suggestions anyone?

There might be some outside places that get very busy after an event has just finished ... and on these rare occasions a pragmatic, sensible and safe approach should be taken by all.

But it years since I can recall being caught in a zebra crossing pedestrian frenzy. :hihi:

There is a zebra crossing outside Nottingham train station that is also a couple of feet away from a T junction and a taxi rank - it often gets chaotic as cars get stuck on the crossing waiting to pull out of the junction on to the main road, cars get stuck in the middle of the main road trying to turn right, people are getting in and out of taxis, people are crossing the road to get to and from the station and impatient car and taxi drivers are edging over the zebra crossing trying to force their way through any old gap in the pedestrians crossing the road

You could argue that it is a poorly situated crossing, and it may be understandable that motorists get a bit fed up when they have to sit and wait for, ooh at least a minute sometimes, as the regular stream of people leaving the train station keeps approaching the crossing, and then some of them stop to try to work out where they are going, some of them stop and turn back to get in a taxi, some of them march across the road regardless, and some of them stand timidly at the side of the road as if they've never seen a zebra crossing before - but sat in the dingy pub on the corner when I've missed my train, it passes on a pleasant 20 minutes or so

There might be some outside places that get very busy after an event has just finished ... and on these rare occasions a pragmatic, sensible and safe approach should be taken by all

But it's been established pretty much that these traits are in short supply with both motorists and pedestrians.

I always stop to let pedestrians cross.

Be it at a crossing or anywhere else i always stop to let them go by.

The amount of arshole drivers i get beeping me and flashing their lights because im considerate amazes me. Yesterday for exmaple, i let a family cross White lane. It took about 10 seconds to slow down and wait for them to see i was waiting for them but noooooooooooo, some idiot in a subaru started reving his engine and making angry faces every time he revved it like the accelerator peddle was attached to his pubes or something.

Then came to 2 tone horn.

The only thing missing was his medalion and hairy chest :lol:

Sorry, are you saying that you just pull up at random in order to let people cross the road.

You're clearly in the wrong if you're doing that.

http://www.driving.co.uk/the-dsa-driving-practical-test/the-driving-test-key-skills-in-detail

....Never beckon to pedestrians to cross the road: you could put them in danger from other vehicles.

Yes, but their argument about whether an island alters things for a motorist won't be answered by a rule aimed at pedestrians...

So pedestrians and motorists operate different sets of rules for the same situation? Not according to the HC

"195

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

•look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

•you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

•allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads

•do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching

•be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing

A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings (see Rule 20)."

The key bit of text there (and that definitively answers the point) is

A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings

Rule 19 is irrelevant.

Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road – it is a separate crossing."

I missed the bit in bold actually, but the instruction to the driver makes it more clear.

The point you were answering was an assertion about the way drivers should behave though.

I think the point he was trying to make was that Mr Smith was wrong in #18, but by choosing to use the rules for pedestrians when Mr Smith was referring to the rules for drivers he hasn't.

Archived