Do drivers stop at crossings anymore ?

I think it is, but sensibly so.

On the one hand it's warning pedestrians that drivers only have to stop when you're on the crossing, and on the other it's telling drivers that you should let pedestrians cross.

The grey area of responsibility is wide to make things safer.

I think that Mr Smith was correct that the Highway Code once had a firm line of responsibility, in that the instruction to car drivers was to give way to pedestrians on the zebra crossing, but this was sensibly changed.

It was changed because many vulnerable pedestrians were reluctant to step onto the crossing before the cars had stopped.

Slowing down early usually gives the pedestrians the confidence to step onto the crossing, but you occasionally you get the ones that just won’t step onto it until you stop.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere like that nowadays tbh, since a singnal operated crossing would be used on busy streets. Suggestions anyone?

There might be some outside places that get very busy after an event has just finished ... and on these rare occasions a pragmatic, sensible and safe approach should be taken by all.

But it years since I can recall being caught in a zebra crossing pedestrian frenzy. :hihi:

Rotherham town centre, a driver should only proceed through a green light when the crossing is clear and the pedestrians near Tesco’s just take the **** by continuing to walk across.

Rotherham town centre, a driver should only proceed through a green light when the crossing is clear and the pedestrians near Tesco’s just take the **** by continuing to walk across.

If pedestrians are continuing to cross a signalled crossing when their light is red, then they are indeed taking the "****".

But my reply to Murphy Jr was specifically in reference to zebra crossings though.

The problem with zebra crossings in busy areas was that a motorist could effectively find himself gridlocked, as Murphy Jr was pointing out. My reply was that they have been sensibly removed from busy areas, at least from my experience. (Except for outside Nottingham train station).

Why did you choose not to quote the part of my post that says the pedestrians just continue to walk over the crossing when the lights have changed back to green?

partly because I have that freedom

but mainly because I was a bit trigger happy on the delete button and cut off a bit more than I intended - not sure it altered the thrust of your post though

If pedestrians are continuing to cross a signalled crossing when their light is red, then they are indeed taking the "****".

But my reply to Murphy Jr was specifically in reference to zebra crossings though.

The problem with zebra crossings in busy areas was that a motorist could effectively find himself gridlocked, as Murphy Jr was pointing out. My reply was that they have been sensibly removed from busy areas, at least from my experience. (Except for outside Nottingham train station).

At busy parts of the day you can have an endless stream of pedestrians just walking onto the crossing, the motorist by law as to just sit there and let them do it. If the motorist abides by the law the pedestrian don't appear to realise that they do indeed want to proceed. I have seen on several occasions motorists having to just move forward and force the pedestrians to stop walking.

It needs a barrier to come down to stop the pedestrians when the lights change. :D

At busy parts of the day you can have an endless stream of pedestrians just walking onto the crossing, the motorist by law as to just sit there and let them do it. If the motorist abides by the law the pedestrian don't appear to realise that they do indeed want to proceed. I have seen on several occasions motorists having to just move forward and force the pedestrians to stop walking.

It needs a barrier to come down to stop the pedestrians when the lights change. :D

that's the problem with the one outside the Nottingham train station - it is a regular stream of people - often just one person crossing at a time, and just as that person gets across another starts - in all seriousness I can imagine how annoying it is to the motorists just sat there waiting - a light controlled crossing would probably help the flow of traffic - although it isn't the busiest of roads - and you'd probably still get people crossing on a red man if others were already on the crossing

Archived