Indigenous white folk, do you 'feel' alienated?

Indigenous white folk, do you 'feel' alienated?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Indigenous white folk, do you 'feel' alienated?

• Yes
    • No

If so why? Why is it you 'feel' the powers that be bend over backwards to help BME's but not you?

If not, then where does all this nonsense come from?

PS - Contentious thread I know, but these are the issues which need addressing and subjects folk want to discuss.

I don't feel that the powers that be bend over backwards with regards to BMEs. I'm aware that there is a perception of this, usually blown out of all proportion when the council puts 'Happy Eid' in festive lights as well as Happy Christmas'. Some of the blue tops love to fuel this 'it's not fair attitude' amongst their readership - instilling the idea that everyone is living the life of riley, apart from themselves.

I do know that many years ago black and ethnic minorities were discriminated against in terms of housing and employment, though I don't know the position nowadays.

If you took the area I live in and put my home smack in the centre of a square mile then white British people would probably be a minority, mainly because of overseas students, particularly Chinese, as well as Somalis and people from all over the world. But within 5 minutes I could walk to loads of real ale pubs, chip shops, supermarkets, etc. So there's enough to make me happy if I only wanted to sample British culture. The general feel on streets though, as well as the restaurants, give me a lot more than what the usual indigenous culture can.

I don't but I guess in some areas white people might feel alienated.

But in some areas BMEs will feel alienated.

The only way to solve this is for the council to not make specific areas predominantly BME.

It's a shame that they do.

The council doesn't do that deliberately. There are areas in Sheffield like Exeter Drive/Place where very few people want to move to and so flats there tend to go to those such as asylum seekers who can't turn anything down. Immigrants tend to go to the poorest areas because that's all they can get. In London, areas like the East End have gone through generational changes as different waves of immigrants settle and then move on - Huguenots, Jews, Bengalis, East Europeans. There are always people coming and going.

Archived