Indigenous white folk, do you 'feel' alienated?

Indigenous white folk, do you 'feel' alienated?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Indigenous white folk, do you 'feel' alienated?

• Yes
    • No

I don't but I guess in some areas white people might feel alienated.

But in some areas BMEs will feel alienated.

The only way to solve this is for the council to not make specific areas predominantly BME.

It's a shame that they do.

The council don't house people based on their ethnicity. Some people from ethnic minority backgrounds do gravitate towards specific areas. Possibly the only places they were welcome when earlier immigrants came to the UK in the 50s. They were often areas with cheap housing, long before the days when benefits covered the rents!

Many people from BME backgrounds move onwards and upwards when they have had the advantage of British education, and integrate successfully into more affluent areas.

I find job adverts that ask for people especially from the ethnic minorities and women a tad annoying, I haven’t looked for a job for many years so I’m not sure if they still use positive discrimination when asking for job applicants. I know they did for the Police, Fire service and the armed forces but it was some years ago.

I don't recall much positive discrimination as you allude to, since that would be discrimination and that's been illegal for a very long time. Discrimination works both ways.

I reckon that something more subtle is at work here and maybe some people (like the ones that the OP appears to refer to) are still stuck in the past and just need to catch up a bit.

Here's the deal as I see it: Those organisations have made greater efforts to make themselves more open and appealing to under represented groups, and to be honest I reckon that's commendable and how it should be.

Whether that's black ghetto kids or white sink estate kids, the Army (for example) has made positive efforts to attract them to its ranks. At one time they would have just gone for the sink estate kids because the organisation didn't understand and wasn't geared up for the black ghetto kids. The Army realised that they make equally good soldiers, so they made a positive effort to attract them.

That's not positive discrimination though, it's just levelling the playing field so that they all get an equal chance of carrying a rifle for Queen and Country.

Today's sentencing of the Stephen Lawrence killers reminds us of what it used to be like when pointless casual and institutional racism was more prevalent. All this stuff is a learning curve really, and we all benefit from it in the long run.

I don't recall much positive discrimination as you allude to, since that would be discrimination and that's been illegal for a very long time. Discrimination works both ways.

I reckon that something more subtle is at work here and maybe some people (like the ones that the OP appears to refer to) are still stuck in the past and just need to catch up a bit.

Here's the deal as I see it: Those organisations have made greater efforts to make themselves more open and appealing to under represented groups, and to be honest I reckon that's commendable and how it should be.

Whether that's black ghetto kids or white sink estate kids, the Army (for example) has made positive efforts to attract them to its ranks. At one time they would have just gone for the sink estate kids because the organisation didn't understand and wasn't geared up for the black ghetto kids. The Army realised that they make equally good soldiers, so they made a positive effort to attract them.

That's not positive discrimination though, it's just levelling the playing field so that they all get an equal chance of carrying a rifle for Queen and Country.

Today's sentencing of the Stephen Lawrence killers reminds us of what it used to be like when pointless casual and institutional racism was more prevalent. All this stuff is a learning curve really, and we all benefit from it in the long run.

Wow. Good post Tony.

alienated is too vague of a description , i would like to put up a bit of reply. ive worked since i left school, low paying jobs but ive paid my taxes and done the right things, but im not earning enough to pay for private rented accomodation, ive been on the council housing list for about 16 years now, and i have NEVER been affored any sort of accomodation at all, i have applied for one bedroom flats in some of the worst areas of sheffield to try and have my own space but have never won/been given any other option of accomodation or even a the decency of a reply from the council.

yet im sure, that many people who have arrived here in the last 10 years will now be living in council accomodation, yet they havent paid into the system as much as i have, havent waited as long as i have.

does it make me alienated ? im not sure .

I despise the BME job adverts, BME housing associations etc. there is just no need for them.

Imagine a job asking for a white english carer, or a white english taxi driver, or a white english only council housing estate.

That said though, I'd rather live amongst my own, with a fish and chip shop, church and a pub. But I don't think we should discriminate in a way to force the formation of ghettos, they will form naturally on their own.

alienated is too vague of a description , i would like to put up a bit of reply. ive worked since i left school, low paying jobs but ive paid my taxes and done the right things, but im not earning enough to pay for private rented accomodation, ive been on the council housing list for about 16 years now, and i have NEVER been affored any sort of accomodation at all, i have applied for one bedroom flats in some of the worst areas of sheffield to try and have my own space but have never won/been given any other option of accomodation or even a the decency of a reply from the council.

yet im sure, that many people who have arrived here in the last 10 years will now be living in council accomodation, yet they havent paid into the system as much as i have, havent waited as long as i have.

What makes you sure of that?

bit of jealousy?

dont you think somebody in a completely alien environment who have no friends or relatives to fall back on should get some form of extra help?

dont you also think that people who are disabled, have health problems, homeless people, vunerable young adults and women or single pregnant women should also get extra help? whether theyre english or not?

Archived