How easy is it for a female to get a council flat ?

A man, have 4 kids! Huh, you wouldn't say that if you had to endure the pain of childbirth. Most men can't even cope with a cold, or should that be man flu.

Men have to endure both the pain of childbirth and PMT, and that's on top of the day to day nagging! :hihi:

Quick question : - is it really true girls who fall pregnant are guaranteed a council house/flat more or less immediately ?

That they can jump the housing queue and be given a roof over their heads literally straight away ?

Or is it all a myth ?

dont pregnant women or girls get priority?im sure they do.

Making yourself deliberately homeless doesn't count though does it!

It's really difficult to prove that someone has made themselves deliberately homeless and it's rarely done and is usually only done in quite extreme cases such as eviction for anti social behaviour etc. Or even people who's houses have been repossed etc.

If you live with a relative you can say they've thrown you out and all you need is there say so. If you don't live with a relative move in with one temporarily then rock up and say they've thrown you out. It's quite simple really. An awful lot of women who get a council flat when they are pregnant still live at home. Because if they could already afford to live in private rented accommodation or to buy their own house they wouldn't really want a council flat would they?

You can get priority a lot more easily. You just have to know the system.

You shouldn't really be having children to get a flat, or even a house for that matter, but 25 years ago ANYBODY could go down and get one without having to wait very long at all.

Nowadays it is far far harder, the youth of today have been dealt a very bad hand.

What you should be having children for is to boost your income. The amount of money yielded in CTC's and increased entitlement to WTC's is well worth it. Just because you can get condoms for free from the GP/GUM clinic doesn't mean that you should use them.

For it is not one's earnings from working that determine a person income.

Get yourself up the duff and you'll get enough in benefits tax credits to cover a mortgage. If I were a bird I reckon I'd have about 4 kids by now, a car and a house.

Only problem is, the tories are in now, so pretty soon, working will determine a greater part of your income.

What you can do, is go down and get one straight away if your a pensioner, even if you own your own house. Straight to top of list.

Not quite, as there isn't 'a list'. If I wanted a sheltered bedsit or one bedroomed flat I could get one as I'm over 60 and the supply of age banded flats in Sheffield outstrips demand. They were mainly built in the days when most older tenants moved into smaller homes when their children grew up. The savings on rent and was a financial incentive in the days before housing benefits.

But I won't be bidding on one thanks, when I need to move, I'll be after a bungalow. ;)

For information, Sheffield council are looking at the way they let properties, and I hope anyone who has any opinions on the subject will complete one of these if they have not already done so. It is a chance to offer an opinion on the allocations (lettings) policy: http://surveys.lasos.org.uk/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=296

Wanting social housing has never been reserved for people who can't afford to rent or buy privately, although some say that it should be...

That is one of the issues that is up for debate in the review that I've linked to in my previous post. Should council accommodation be open to everyone, or just those in need, financially or otherwise.

That is one of the issues that is up for debate in the review that I've linked to in my previous post. Should council accommodation be open to everyone, or just those in need, financially or otherwise.

Needs change though, should you loose your home because your situation improves, then be eligible to get it back if you loose your job? That makes no sense.

Priority makes sense, and treating it like a long term lease (ie not guaranteed forever) also makes sense. But absolute limitations on who can apply, no, I don't agree with that.

Archived