395 of our soldiers now been killed in Afghan

I'd wager most officers killed, and admittedly that won't be a huge number, were Eton (certainly public schooled) toffs. See, you have had your pound of flesh. That must make you feel better.

31 actually, up to 2nd January, and I wager that none or next to none went to Eton.

You are joking, right ?

Well, maybe not if you are a religious man with the ear of the local officials, but for everyone else it's a toss up between outright civil oppression and having somebody else's soldiers in your back garden.

But just for starters, imagine for a moment that your daughter is not allowed to be educated - in a school or even at home, and the government razes all the schools to the ground to make sure. Transgress and you'll be murdered.

So, is the emancipation of a nation worth 395 British soldiers lives and maybe a thousand more?

Yes.

Or no other public school ? You met many officers ?

I met quite a few at a wedding a while ago, one went to Birkdale, which is a long way down the scale from Eton. A retired Lt Colonel used to frequent my local, he was promoted from the ranks during WW11, he came from farming stock.

Most officers are university graduates, most investment bankers are ex public school.

You are joking, right ?

No.

54% of Aghans feel they're more prosperous now than in 2001

35% more kids are being immunised against disease

Nealy 20% more kids going to school than in 2005

Nearly 10% more of the country now has access to electricity than in 2006.

Source

These are 2009 figures so one can only assume things have improved even further since then.

Yeah you can all slate the Goverment for being in Afghanistan, but that's because you can't imagine what life's like there.

If you know your baby girl would never go to school because a group controlling your city would shoot you all dead if you sent her, then maybe you'd want help from outsiders too.

A bit unnecessary mj.

I'd wager most officers killed, and admittedly that won't be a huge number, were Eton (certainly public schooled) toffs. See, you have had your pound of flesh. That must make you feel better.

Think you missed the point I was making. Why has the OP even brought class into it? True, most young squaddies probably are of working class background, many will be middle class, a few will have wealthy backgrounds. But when they've been killed, what does it matter? They were all people, all a waste of young lives, not just the working class ones.

Think you missed the point I was making. Why has the OP even brought class into it? True, most young squaddies probably are of working class background, many will be middle class, a few will have wealthy backgrounds. But when they've been killed, what does it matter? They were all people, all a waste of young lives, not just the working class ones.

I must have misread it because this post is spot on.

We concur then.Thanks for putting me right.

I also should read posts with more care.

Archived