Blind Hash: Does anyone know why it was named this?

poppins

Originally posted by depoix

mothers can be so sarcastic at times, blind hash = close your eyes and find the meat

it was usually mid week when people were skint, more like thick vegatable soup

I BET thats just the reason why it was called that, 'try find the meat'

Originally posted by willman

now dont get mistaken hash i think was derived from that served up on hash wednesday ie everything that was a luxury item in preperation for lent.

a stew is a pot of veg & sometimes meat that was left to stew, hung over the range for days with little odd & sods added.

stew is made in a pot / pan on the top of the cooker or over the hot ashes of the fire

casserole is similar but done inside the oven with a lid on the pot...or so i was told

Originally posted by depoix

mothers can be so sarcastic at times, blind hash = close your eyes and find the meat

it was usually mid week when people were skint, more like thick vegatable soup

Yayyy there we go, cracked it.:clap:

Joanl

I never had Blind Hash but has anyone had 'Remanded Hash'.

If I remember correctly this Hash that was made on the Monday using what was left of the Sunday roast.

It was warmed up and served for the rest of the week adding whatever was at hand to keep topping up the pot to keep it going.

Happy Days!

Who said that?

Originally posted by PopT

I never had Blind Hash but has anyone had 'Remanded Hash'.

If I remember correctly this Hash that was made on the Monday using what was left of the Sunday roast.

It was warmed up and served for the rest of the week adding whatever was at hand to keep topping up the pot to keep it going.

Happy Days!

Who said that?

Is there much of a difference between Hash and Stew ? i think

Hash might be without meat...not sure though.

Probably wrong but wasn't hash made with mutton scrag end in the bad old days ? About the cheapest bit of meat you could get from the butchers. My wife calls this "Scouse" and makes it with lamb best end of neck. :rolleyes:

Always thought stews were beef based although I can remember having fish stew at my grans, - sounds awful but it was very tasty.

What I would call beef stew my mother called "Ash".

When I was visiting my dear departed mother in 98,I thought I would cook her a meal .I had picked up a piece of cod in the fish market and cooked her 'Fish Chowder'her remark was "Ee its like ash wi fish"

I remember having 'ash as a lad. I don't think it's got any connection with Ash Wednesday though. I think Ash wednesday is the first day of fasting for lent.....you wouldn't have beef stew. It's the day before that......Pancake day, Shrove Tuesay or Mardi Gras (fat tuesday) that people used to eat up.

That shouting 'whip' business has always bothered me though. My nan said she used to make meat and potato pie during the war and there was so little meat in it that you shouted 'whip' every time you found a piece.

Where does that come from?